excuse me if I shear the pricks

Jesse Screed

1 hour ago, jack c. said:

do you read music and write your songs in notation?this is a little different for you.jack c

Hello jack c

Thanks for listening

I will be completely honest with you.

I can not read music and I don't use notation, and that is not something I'm proud of or happy about. 

In a lot of ways it is very limiting to not be able to read and write notation.  I'll never be able to hang with proper musicians who do and can read music.  Basically I am a hack who pretends to be an artist.

I play rudimentary guitar.  I know the major and minor scales in a few positions, and I know that blues scale thing.  I know major and minor chords at the open position and can play bar chords.

I have learned about three other songs on guitar, mostly no more than 4 chords, and generally just three.

I mess around on the keyboard but don't know at all what I am doing.  I try to listen close and then play what might sound good to me.

I have some cool tools like Rapture, ezdrum ezkeys bass jamstix and lots of ni products none of which I really know how to use.  I also have many other products which I rarely use. I used to spend a lot of time in the deals forum thinking that was the answer to my lack of training, but all I did was spend lots of money that I could have just as easily given to the food bank and it would have done a lot of people more good than it has done for me. 

I use Sonar for my DAW and could easily have gotten by on just the stock plugs and vsti that come with it.  I mostly only ever use an empty project when I start recording.  A lot of times I start with a drum track, but this time I recorded the vocals first, then I just played along with my guitar, and then added some other stuff.

I record to pass some time in the early evenings.  Then, I can't help myself and just HAVE to post my expressions in the song forum, because you know, "it's just so damn good."?  If one person listens to it I will be happy, and also to save it somewhere else.  I know basically that it is the ravings of my inner mad dog, kind of interesting like an accident on the freeway as you pass by, although most accidents get more comments than my expressions.

I am not a good song forum member because I rarely comment on other songs, sometimes it is because all the talent that is presented there by great songwriters musicians and producers that I end up just saying the same things over and over, "Wow, that was awesome."  Mostly I don't comment because I am lazy and selfish.

Was that TMI?  Of course it was, but I feel that if anyone reads it they will understand a little more about just who I am and how I express myself.  I have been compared to a lot of people, but really, any comparison is just an accident.  But I have fun doing it and I think it helps me stay young and keeps my synapses working.

Peace jack c, keep up the great work with your music.

• Like 1

It's an absorbing read. For all of us that write and present here for review, your input has intrigued most of us in the forum .. never stop believing anyone has more talent than you ... after all do you see millionaires posting stuff ... didn't think so ... and most music these days I could do with my NI Micro ... your stuff always tasks me ..even after all the years of listening to your work  / ///  keep going ......

Many thanks for the post ?

Steve    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2024 at 11:14 AM, Supa Reels said:

It's an absorbing read. For all of us that write and present here for review, your input has intrigued most of us in the forum .. never stop believing anyone has more talent than you ... after all do you see millionaires posting stuff ... didn't think so ... and most music these days I could do with my NI Micro ... your stuff always tasks me ..even after all the years of listening to your work  / ///  keep going ......

Many thanks for the post ?

Steve    

What a great post!  It keeps the rest of us honest, more or less...

• Haha 1

That thing that compels you to express yourself in music and share it is what makes you an artist, not the opinions of others. You don't  need to justify your status as artist to anyone. Most forum members here would probably agree that your work is valid and compelling.

Gazillions of musicians great and small never learned to read music.  I never had training, didn't really pick up an instrument until I was fifty years old. I are an artist too!

Keep doing what you do, you have an audience!

On 5/21/2024 at 8:59 AM, jack c. said:

this is a little different for you.jack c

On 5/23/2024 at 11:14 AM, Supa Reels said:

never stop believing anyone has more talent than you

19 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

You don't  need to justify your status as artist to anyone.

Okay, after reading my response to jack c, I see how I may have come off as a sad sack little vamp.

I blame jack c for positing the query.?

Look, honesty and confidence go hand and hand, like chosen words and perceived meaning.

I believe in my expressions, I am not afraid to bare myself.

I also so much love to hear all the expressions by others.

If you post, you're the most.

On 5/21/2024 at 11:05 AM, Jesse Screed said:

I am a hack who pretends to be an artist.

I am the proto artist and you are too, so hack away!

• Like 1

Another aural treat by Jesse! 

It is a bit different for you and I luv it!  Thanks for your honest comments.  I too can not read music (I ain't no spot man - beatnik slang).  It was only upon retirement that I picked up the guitar again.  I would love to read and know more music theory but it's too late now.  Personally, for me, music is therapy.  Instead of yelling at my wife and kicking my dog (if I had one), I pick up a guitar and a few minutes later -- all is well!  I know I am not an artist.  I guess that is why I must have fun with my music.  A few minutes listening to my preferred genre and all is well.

Enjoy doing your music Jesse and have fun doing it  --  and -- keep them coming!

Hi Jesse

Really like this track and love your post! You DO NOT have to read music to be an artist - in some ways, I think knowing too much Music Theory might be restricting, so who needs it!!!!!

Keep doing what you do, love it always

Nigel

• Like 1

On 6/8/2024 at 4:40 AM, Bajan Blue said:

Really like this track and love your post!

Ditto!

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, freddy j said:

Thanks for your honest comments

Here, here!

On 5/21/2024 at 9:05 AM, Jesse Screed said:

Was that TMI?

No

On 6/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, Jesse Screed said:

reading my response to jack c, I see how I may have come off as a sad sack little vamp

No again

On 6/5/2024 at 3:26 PM, Jesse Screed said:

I blame jack c for positing the query.?

I think we are all thanking him...

Keep up the good work Jesse!

t

On 6/5/2024 at 6:00 PM, freddy j said:

I know I am not an artist

Not true Freddy.
Its not a competition, its all about self expression; you excel at that!