Quickly measure region/selection length in milliseconds

Peter Inouye

Question

Hi All, is there a way to quickly measure region length in seconds/milliseconds? For my workflow, I constantly need to measure time from one sound to another for implementation or to send to my engineer (e.g. Start File1, wait 870 ms, start File2 at volume 0 and fade in 1250ms, wait 500ms, start File3).

For example, if you highlight a region, the "export" menu shows the project and selection in frames. This number format is not affected by the time ruler format. Sometimes I'll just quickly use that and calculate it (5:15 = 5.500 sec)  but it's not always accurate enough at 1/30 of a second (33 ms chunks).

For the last 10 years, my normal go-to is just to drop a marker at the two spots, set my time view to time in ms, and just do the math in a calculator (33625-32000=1625ms between markers).

I would love just to shift-select the time bar and see the length in milliseconds.  Thought I'd ask here to make sure I didn't miss something simple. Thanks!

16 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

ah yes!

set timeline to millisecond, then place the markers to align on clips etc - helps to define the spacing, then just drag in the timeline from marker 1 to marker 2 and you can read out the duration. in the example 00:00:14.732 between the 2 markers (ignore the now time)

image.png.4b8bd41efd8af26e3c73005ad9c0deee.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

one way i've been doing it - click on the clip and look at the length in the inspector -> properties. you have the same set of selections as the main clock. the only downside is if you select several clips, it just shows "multi" which is not helpful 🙂 

image.png.4c6628522df8ee0c95eb899c98c724ca.png image.png.0bce01e1d70881d4c3c2902a462a6051.png

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Thanks 1

Ahhh, thank you. Most of my clips will overlap, this won't work without just creating "dummy" clips just for that. It is a possible workaround though. Thank you for pointing this one out! Still hoping for something I've overlooked.

• Like 1

I'm not at my daw. So I can't verify this. But add a milliseconds ruler to the time line if it's not already there. The place a marker at the desired location (end/middle/start/etc) of the first clip. Then move the now time marker to desired location of the second sound. The distance between the two sounds is the difference between the now time marker and the placed marker.

Hope this helps. It's way easier to do than describe. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 2:16 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

ah yes!

set timeline to millisecond, then place the markers to align on clips etc - helps to define the spacing, then just drag in the timeline from marker 1 to marker 2 and you can read out the duration. in the example 00:00:14.732 between the 2 markers (ignore the now time)

image.png.4b8bd41efd8af26e3c73005ad9c0deee.png

Glenn, I can't find the elapsed time that your picture shows. How do you get it?

This is what I got:

image.png.9dd9bba66051f4c8159892b00b8ee0ba.png

Andres,

As Glenn wrote, did you set the timeline to milliseconds?   That seems to be needed to display the elapsed time.
Right-click on the  timeline, menu: Time Ruler Format > Milliseconds.

Posted (edited)

as Base said:

image.png.6192d129b7aed0a81950253fc80b3d45.png

then as you drag on the millseconds time ruler, you'll see the duration shown ± time

note: the aim assist time shows the duration in whatever time ruler format you've selected.

Edited by Glenn Stanton
added note
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all.

Didn't know about this feature. Never used before...!

Now  I can read the aim assist time... but ... apparently it's displaying the time of the cursor, not the elapsed time of the selection.

May be I'm missing something?

Screenshot_1.png

Thank you all, this is great! I still wish there was just a way to highlight a region and see it in something like the selection bar, so I wouldn't have to keep switching my time ruler format and also lose my duration if I let go of the mouse to type the length into my spreadsheets.

But this is still moderately faster than the math I was doing in a calculator. So thank you!

22 hours ago, Peter Inouye said:

Thank you all, this is great! I still wish there was just a way to highlight a region and see it in something like the selection bar, so I wouldn't have to keep switching my time ruler format and also lose my duration if I let go of the mouse to type the length into my spreadsheets.

But this is still moderately faster than the math I was doing in a calculator. So thank you!

Not sure if this is what you need:

The elapsed time is always diplayed inside the export module (weird...), but is very handy.

I think the time is displayed in SMPTE time always, but can't be 100% sure.

image.png.b8bd9fdffeca7a81411fb1605fc2862d.png