This might explain the wait.

Just installed the latest update. I always read the release notes. I counted 59 Bug fixes!  So good job everyone. I even saw one I reported. 

And the Sampler has arrived.

You see folks, it will all be worth the wait. I just played a gig last weekend and the money is sitting here waiting for the news! 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

So their is a PAID SUBSCRIPTION with all these bugs? uh OK........................................

I think my point is that it will be worth the wait. Apparently it is a very small team trying their best to get this out there and ya, there will always be a few bugs in complicated software.   Looking at the list they were mostly very  nit picky little items found by users.  And this is where it is at, we are still helping them out by testing and reporting. Just for you so you possibly won't find any bugs when you finally get to buy it. 

And why do you use the word subscription? You cannot subscribe to Sonar. It's not for sale yet.   It is an early access version which we can try out free or "rent" by the month for now until it is made available to the general public.  And as we were told there will be definitely be purchase options.  We have all made it pretty clear that no one is interested in subscriptions.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Where did you read it's going to be a paid subscription? 

9 hours ago, John Vere said:

And why do you use the word subscription?

i think it's because the only way to currently get it is via the paid bandlab sub 🤷‍♀️ until any other options are finally "revealed" it's a sub

Tried the new XSampler. 

There's an issue where when I use the spacebar to press play, it not only plays the MIDI clip I'm working on, but also plays the preview button in the sampler. Sometimes both will stop when I press the spacebar again, and other times the preview keeps on playing. Unusable for me in this state.

After using it longer, I'm not having the issue where the preview button stays pressed when the I press the spacebar to stop. Maybe I was just pressing the bar too quick. 

Kudos to the bakers on allowing the start/end of the sample times to be automated. It's something I could do in Ableton's Simpler to get that bouncing delay effect like Aphex Twin's Bucephalus Bouncing Ball. 

It seems that all states of the knobs buttons are retained in XSampler when I swap samples, except the loop state. Not a big complaint, but would be nice to not have to press one of those buttons after swapping a sample.

Posted (edited)

Right now we can pay Bandlab to let us test Sonar. Since I have no doubt it will work fine with minimal glitches once it’s formally “released” (whatever that means) I’ll hang on to my money for now and wait for the final pricing offers. I still don’t expect a one time purchase offer. 

Edited by Terry Kelley

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bristol_Jonesey said:

Where did you read it's going to be a paid subscription? 

So are saying the (membership fee) , which is basically a subscription that many have now is FREE? I was\am talking about what is happening NOW. IOW, the wait is because of all the bugs but selling "memberships to same software is OK? That's just weird imho!

OK I will STOP posting about the "wait". I guess I see it different than others and yes, as I said before I have been with CW since the early 90's a the very least. Obviously I am somewhat alone in NOT choosing to defend the situation. 

Edited by Pathfinder
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

PAID SUBSCRIPTION

38 minutes ago, John Vere said:

it’s called a Membership not at subscription.

Not trying to nitpick, but when I open Sonar and click  Help>About Sonar

The license for Sonar is labeled as :Lease

I do have a membership to backstage pass.

I will let others determine if a lease is a subscription or what not.

I hope that there will be a non sub model offered at official release.  I still have my "lifetime updates" invoice for the Gibson Sonar🤣

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

OK I will STOP posting about the "wait". I guess I see it different than others and yes, as I said before I have been with CW since the early 90's a the very least. Obviously I am somewhat alone in NOT choosing to defend the situation. 

I don’t believe us old timers are the market Bandlab is aiming for. I too am a user from Cakewalk’s beginnings. Hell, my guess is a large number of us that started with Cakewalk aren’t around anymore. But today’s market will accept subscriptions and that’s where Bandlab is focused IMO. I do think the original June 2023 announcement was a bit over enthusiastic but things do get delayed as the actual workload became clearer. 

Edited by Terry Kelley
  • Like 4

I love Cakewalk, but whoever stands behind the decision of not publicly releasing basic information on future licenses & release time frame (season/year?)are just acting a bit distasteful and cruel.

Most of us here remember 2017 very well. And also remember that it was said that Cakewalk will be free.  I am pretty sure most of us stayed  not because of the "free" factor... I see no benefit of keeping folks in the dark for so long.  All it adds is repeated anxiety of 2017, especially when death of Cakewalk was announced some time ago in FAQ.  I just hope it will be a Happy Death with reincarnation of shiny Sonar perpetual licenses available at fair prices.

P.S. I recently installed my last Gibson Sonar version, everything is working fine.... A few bugs unfixed in that version do annoy me, but not to the point to be depressed or sign up for subscription. I am glad I have this plan "B" which should last for a few years if things go sour with BL.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Terry Kelley said:

I don’t believe us old timers are the market Bandlab is aiming for. I too am a user from Cakewalk’s beginnings. Hell, my guess is a large number of us that started with Cakewalk aren’t around anymore. But today’s market will accept subscriptions and that’s where Bandlab is focused IMO. I do think the original June 2023 announcement was a bit over enthusiastic but things do get delayed as the actual workload becomes clearer. 

Yes You are probably correct, but I also very much agree with Misha's post right above this. 

Edited by Pathfinder

You know I hate to say this because I know many of you have been forum members like me since the very old CW forums, Glennbo and Susan G. and so many others-kid of lie forum friends so to speak.

But I don't get the CW lawyers on here that keep defending CW? Please remember they ARE MAKING $$$ from membership or whatever you prefer to call it.

I am beginning to think that they (CW and I am not INCLUDING NOEL B. when I say CW-he is kind of one of us to me) feel if they sell it they will lose MANY memberships which is probably true.

So please let's just have some actual transparency. OK I'm done! Sell it, we love bugs!

17 days until the anniversary of Jesse’s announcement. 

I like the group of emotions above 👆 It sort of says it all as far as how people react to this very day. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

You know I hate to say this because I know many of you have been forum members like me since the very old CW forums, Glennbo and Susan G. and so many others-kid of lie forum friends so to speak.

But I don't get the CW lawyers on here that keep defending CW? Please remember they ARE MAKING $$$ from membership or whatever you prefer to call it.

I am beginning to think that they (CW and I am not INCLUDING NOEL B. when I say CW-he is kind of one of us to me) feel if they sell it they will lose MANY memberships which is probably true.

So please let's just have some actual transparency. OK I'm done! Sell it, we love bugs!

I keep the developers and Bandlab management separate. While some of them might have some pull with the team responsible for marketing and pricing Sonar, I still believe the developers would give us everything we all want if they could. They could not be more engaged and accommodating to us users. But that pricing decision isn’t theirs and we need to challenge Bandlab directly, not through the developers. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, John Vere said:

17 days until the anniversary of Jesse’s announcement. 

I like the group of emotions above 👆 It sort of says it all as far as how people react to this very day. 

Oh, I’m almost getting chills.

• Like 1