Sonar LE available $200!

Posted (edited)

I Googled Cakewalk Sonar  and look what was there! On the comments it shows 2024. Such a deal! 

Screenshot(825).thumb.png.56f1bc81030f2a1eb50b019523d492ce.png

This is also interesting what shows up. And read the little notes in the lower right info box- This is labeled Cakewalk Sonar and it says " was a DIgital Audio workstation.   2017. They better get going on having a proper web presence, way too much old garbage attached to the Sonar name. Bad move using it again I think.  This is not what I would want to see if I Google Cakewalk Sonar. SO LE is $200 and Splat $360. Too funny. 

Screenshot (828).png

Edited by John Vere
  • Haha 1

That is one funny Etsy seller :)

Yeah, they definitely should consider amending that Wiki page.

Today, we are one month shy from 1 year since initial Sonar/Next announcement was made. I hope there will be some clarity given within the next month.

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Posted (edited)

$153.33 US.

LE was free with a hardware purchase.  Wonder how long before the buyers realize they just paid for a DEMO because they can't register it?!

Edited by sjoens

It’s not clear what version it actually might be. Orange implies Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

That would be funny if the download is just CbB. 

I still have X1 LE registered in my account. It was free with some Roland Hardware I bought.  I never really used it. 

Posted (edited)

CbB has no need for an LE version since it's free.  Your screenshot shows a pre-X series LE version probably from a Samson microphone.

If it's an "Instant download" as the ad implies, he could be selling multiple copies of a "free" item for a profit.

The only "legal" way LE can be sold is with the hardware it came with. Still won't be able to register it tho.

Among other DAWs, the seller also has  Sonar 8.5 LE for $220 CA & FREE Audacity for $50 CA.

Edited by sjoens

I've still got 8.5 LE on my pc , and I actually visit it from time to time. Got it free with a Cakewalk UA-4FX interface. 

Pre X series , but still had the same look.

Really miss the interface . I think it was for sure underrated. 

Lots of misleading ads online.  I am actually glad they brought back the Sonar brand.  The 3rd party sellers should remove the old  waste of server space adds.    ms

13 hours ago, sjoens said:

The only "legal" way LE can be sold is with the hardware it came with

not true in the eu, software can be re-sold no matter what the eula says 🙌

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pwal³ said:

not true in the eu, software can be re-sold no matter what the eula says 🙌

That's a lot of academic theory! Yes, you can re-sell the software, but in many cases the buyer will not be able to activate it!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, sjoens said:

The only "legal" way LE can be sold is with the hardware it came with. Still won't be able to register it tho.

You didn’t need to register the products back then. The serial numbers were all that was required.
That was the days of key generated serials and possibly half of the users were using pirated copies. 

Example I can install and run Sonar Producer 8.5 , x1 LE or X3 because they just use serial and registration numbers that are on the covers, No need to phone home.

They do recommend you register them which I did and that is handy if you loose the DVD. Sonar 6, 7 and 8.5 are not registered on my list. I lost my disks a long time ago and only had made a ISO image of 8.5 . 

The first version to phone home was  Splat needed the Command Center. 
Then CbB was using Activation system. 

So it’s possible the software being sold above is just the result of someone sitting on a basement who ISO copied an old pre phone home version off a disk they had and is selling it now because there’s people who have heard there’s new DAW called Sonar. 
They can include the same serial and registration numbers in the follow up email. 

Edited by John Vere

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, John Vere said:

You didn’t need to register the products back then.

Thanks for the reminder.  It can be "activated" if they have both numbers.

22 hours ago, pwal³ said:

not true in the eu, software can be re-sold no matter what the eula says

Edit: The seller is in Alberta, CA, not the EU.

Edited by sjoens

Yes you can blame the Pirates for why we no longer have the old simple system of serial numbers. 
This is why Bandlab put CbB on a activation system from day one. They knew what they were doing. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, John Vere said:

Yes you can blame the Pirates for why we no longer have the old simple system of serial numbers. 
This is why Bandlab put CbB on a activation system from day one. They knew what they were doing. 

nah, pirates wouldn't buy it, most wouldn't try and sell it, they just wanna try it, that's why everyone does demos now

bandlab are a social media focussed company, that's why they want your data/stats/etc, that's where the moolah is these days

/respect

Edited by pwal³
added the bit about bl being sm oriented
  • Great Idea 1