How to play Song at half speed?

Hi. About a year ago I watched a youtube vid showing how to play a song at half speed in Cakewalk. I thought it was a John Vere vid but I can't find it now. 

I also dont rem if it works for both audio and midi tracks. I was hoping to use it to slow down my song while still allowing me to nudge my midi and audio notes to get the right feel I'm after. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Thanks!

Posted (edited)

I did have a video about how to change tempo of songs. It didn’t get many views so I deleted it. 

Midi is of course a no brainer but audio requires that all tracks are complete end to end so you need to use bounce to clip on those first. 

Then make sure clip properties is set to musical 

Then open audio snap and set clip follows project  tempo.

Half speed is pretty severe so audio will probably go weird on you. 
I would  work with a backup of the project. Don’t do this to the original. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't have to bounce clips together so long as the Timebase is Musical (clip start times follow the M:B:T grid when changing tempo) which is the default for both MIDI and Audio. But I do recommend doing this in a copy of the project (can be in the same project folder and referencing the same audio files; it just needs to be a separate CWP file) just to avoid unrecoverable mistakes.

- Ctrl-A to select the whole project.

- Open the Audiosnap section of Clip Properties and click to Enable Audiosnap on all the audio clips.

- IMPORTANT: Set the Follow Option to Auto Stretch before enabling Follow Proj Tempo.

- Enable Follow Proj Tempo.

- Change the tempo; if the tempo is variable you can use the Tempo Offset by percentage in the tempo track to change them all proportionally.

- As John said, 50% is a lot. I typically find 75-80% feels reasonably slow for this kind of thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1