Invaders from Outer Space

Kevin Walsh

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, noynekker said:

@Kevin Walsh . . . it clearly has that Pink Floyd influence about it, maybe a tribute to some floydian thing you felt inside when you created this. I really enjoyed listening to it . . . this has a great analog sound quality in the recording, like a tape recording, smooth edges. . . how did you record it ? . . . Is it all Cakewalk in the box, or something else ?

Just really appreciate all aspects of the song, the guitar, the vocals, and the recording presentation !

Thanks for listening and commenting, glad  you enjoyed it! My wife has long since learned not to ask me how I record stuff, her eyes glaze over after about fifteen seconds of jibber jabber. :)

If I recall (it's been a while) I recorded on whatever version of Cakewalk Sonar was current in 2015.  Sonar X3 maybe? For instruments I used a 2005 American Strat and a 2004 Indonesia Epiphone Sheraton into various Guitar Rig 5 presets. To update things I re-recorded the intro lead guitar using the Sheraton into a Tonex Marshall profile I grabbed on ToneNet somewhere.

The bass was a 2013 American Precision Bass direct into a Guitar Rig 5 bass preset called "DI".

For synths I used Z3+2A for a few patches and for the hammond keys patches. I'm not very good at cobbling together synth sounds. All keys parts were hand-programmed using the PRV.

I typically use a separate reverb bus and a delay bus. These days for the reverb bus I use a Valhalla plugin but back then I used the Rematrix convolution reverb plug in in the pro channel. For delay bus I used and still use the Cakewalk Sonitus delay. I love that thing. I put prochannel eq high pass filters on both busses.

I'll typically route lead vocal bus and bg bus vocals into both delay and reverb bus and adjust send gain to taste. For guitars I put sends on individual guitar tracks rather than on busses. I also add a reverb send on the drum buss too but easy does it there.

I may have put some mild compression on the various busses. For mastering I used Ozone 7 I think, and used some vintage presets to get a nice old-school sound. I'm a big preset guy, mostly because I don't know what I'm doing and I couldn't hear the difference if I did. I may have used the Ozone tape emulator on the master, or maybe the pro-channel tape emulator. I love those but if you go crazy with them things can get pretty noisy.

The hardest part was getting the drums to sound right. I use Addictive Drums 2 using a vintage dry patch or a Fairfax patch (can't remember which one right now) with canned midi tracks that get pretty heavily monkeyed with by the time I'm done. I put a pro channel tube driver with some nice saturation on the drum buss to smooth things out and I put an ozone vintage limiter on the bass/drum buss to squish them together. 

All vocals and acoustic guitar (an old Martin D16GX, a 2000 model I think) were mic'ed with a Microphone Parts T-12 mic I built from a kit. Awesome LDC mic that has a nice old school sound and pretty cheap too.

That's about it I think. 

Thanks again, I'm really encouraged by the great comments here!

Edited by Kevin Walsh

14 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Cool track @Kevin Walsh one of the best bits of music I have heard in awhile if I am being honest.

Mix worked well here. :) 

Thank you, Wookie, high praise indeed! Thank you for taking the time  to listen and comment.

On 5/27/2024 at 2:00 AM, Martin Schiff said:

I really enjoyed listening. It is very Floydian, and I am a big Floyd fan. 

-- Martin

Thanks, Martin,  I appreciate you listening and posting your feedback!