Turn To Be Free

Glenn Stanton

Posted (edited)

"if you love someone, set them free"

and if they've been in an abusive set of relationships, and finally get into a good relationship, but they realize "this is my turn to be free" and stoopidly you let them go and they're right back into the abuse again. and they never come back. sucks.

anyways, this one i wrote back in the late 80's when new age was all the rage.  turns out i suck at writing new age songs. here it is. the trick for me (at least) is lot's and lot's of delays on simple parts - cajon for drums, tambourine, acoustic bass, acoustic and electric guitars for finger picking and rhythms, piano and organ, and a synth "solo" on a steady IV-iii-ii-I cadence.

---------------------------------------------

[verse]
you ask me for your freedom
you ask me for a dream
i don't control your life
any more than you control me

[chorus]
turn to be free
what's that mean?
to you
what's that mean?
to me

[verse]
you trade in a heavy hand
for a length of velvet chain
it doesn't matter where you are
the bond is just the same

[bridge]
say you'll take what i will give
say you'll take your freedom
and then you'll start to live

[chorus]
turn to be free
what's that mean?
to you
what's that mean?
to me

[break]
turn to be free
what's that?
what's that mean?

[chorus]
turn to be free
what's that mean?
to you
what's that mean?
to me

[outro]
turn to be free
turn
turn to be free
what's that mean?
turn
turn to be free
|end|
turn

Edited by Glenn Stanton
  • Like 2

Hi Glenn

A good track with nice production and mix

I think a change up somewhere would have been good, but that's just a personal opinion, so feel free to ignore!!

Cool

Nigel

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

thanks Nigel.

actually the purpose of the constant descending cadence was to create a repetitive "trance" new age thingie... with just some gentle breaks. i think in the original version i did, i used a break with a couple of hits on an electric guitar chord w/ the stutter vocal. but this time around i was going more trance-like (but not in the EDM way)...

Edited by Glenn Stanton

Glenn, this is a beautiful song with a powerful message. You have a wonderful voice and you use it perfectly here. I was kind of yearning for a cathartic breakout too, but I get the drone thing. The repetitive cycle matches the intent of the lyrics. The background vocals are amazing.

Love it!

Kevin

• Like 1

Glen , Brilliant creative production !   It kind of sits in it's own slot as far as genre is concearned.  The cajon sounded nice, as well as All of the vocals. I believe this one is in "your" key and lends itself well with your voice.

I Really enjoyed it ..    mark

• Like 1

From the off great main vocal , just super , backing vocals spot on  , in my opinion the song could have done with a key change somewhere , but all the same lovely production  and a good song......  the sort of song one would hear in a T,V film ..cheers P

• Like 1