I got the wrong expander!!!

jesse g

On 5/5/2024 at 10:36 AM, John Nelson said:

The Clarett series ADAT expander has Ins and outs. That's the one you want (not Scarlett).

Correct John, 

Thant's the main one that the Focusrite Customer Service  employee wanted me to buy first, but I tried to go a cheaper route, hence my post title. But he did tell me it would support my external hardware.  (He lied or didn't know his product)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up new (in the box, never used) Audient SP800 expander for a crazy price of $500 off reverb. List price new is $909 from sweetwater.

I had a Behringer ADA800 or whatever it's called.  sold it off for peanuts.

That will give me all the inputs I'll ever need with my 25 Appollo inputs and now this.

Posted (edited)

I will not own Behringer products because they refuse to offer block diagrams (schematics) for them.

Search the internet forums far and wide and they are non-existent.

I end up pushing buttons all over the unit hoping to get a signal out.

They advertise the Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 as 8 ins and 8 outs but in reality it is only stereo out to the PC.

Maybe this is why they don't want the schematics out there in the wild.

I found one partial schematic scribbled in someone's handwriting.

A unit with 8 actual inputs into your PC will cost over 1000 dollars. RME is the way to go. 

Behringer tech support told me, "We only give schematics and block diagrams to our partners."

But not the consumers of your products, the people who actually need to know how to run the product?

I have 2 Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820s that have sat in a junk drawer since the day I bought them.

They are for sale for $50 each (plus shipping) I got ripped off and deceived by Behringer, never again.

I got the wrong thing too and I am stuck with them.

As for the sound quality of the Behringers, "unremarkable". I only kept them because I don't like to return stuff I used. If given the choice again they would go right back.

My Zoom UAC-232 blows the doors off the Behringers, wide open.

Edited by RexRed

maybe it's me? i have a couple of the older MX2004A mixers which in the instruction manual are the block diagrams. so Behringer must have decided at some point in the last 10 years to stop doing it. sad because sometimes the block diagrams can be useful esp when you are using a bunch of patch bays. 

i have the UMC1820 and an ADA8200. and they're coupled via the normal optical cables - with the out on the UMC via optical splitter is going into the ADA input (as the 1820 is the master clock) and also my JVC RX-7000V 5.1 receiver to provide the power for my 5.1 JBL setup.  the out of the ADA goes into the 1820. the next thing is to make sure the clock settings are right. once having done that, then everything (for me) worked as expected.

all 16 channels are inputs into my PC via USB and the UMC ASIO.