It's lame music cartoon time again

On 7/27/2024 at 12:05 PM, Paul Young said:

Far Side Band.jpg

I'm playing a venue tonight where I'm convinced there really is a SUCK knob on the console. It's an expensive PA in a permanent installation with a dedicated FoH operator, so it should sound a lot better than it does. But it seriously sucks, with a seemingly-intentional 5KHz spike that feels like an icepick to the ears.

We only play there because they pay well, we get free food, and it's over at 9:00 PM.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

I'm playing a venue tonight where I'm convinced there really is a SUCK knob on the console. It's an expensive PA in a permanent installation with a dedicated FoH operator, so it should sound a lot better than it does. But it seriously sucks, with a seemingly-intentional 5KHz spike that feels like an icepick to the ears.

We only play there because they pay well, we get free food, and it's over at 9:00 PM.

That's all that matters.

When I use any DAW it has a suck button it's usually called record.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, OutrageProductions said:

5kHz is usually the first band to get damaged with long term FOH mixers. And they are usually the last to ever get their hearing charted at a good audiologist. 

That is in fact a fact.

I have to make a conscious effort to go easy on the 2-5KHz band, because even though it makes everything crisp and bright to my old ears, I remind myself that most people won't hear it the same way I do.

But the FoH guy tonight is at least 40 years younger than me. His ears shouldn't be shot yet. Then again the first time I met him I asked how he felt about the PA (because it seemed oversized for the room) his response was "oh, it gets plenty loud!". Priorities, I guess.

7 hours ago, OutrageProductions said:

get their hearing charted at a good audiologist. 

I recently went to an audiologist to have my hearing checked. Even though with the work I do (potential for loud noise) they have my hearing checked somewhat regularly,  I never had a test like that one. I mean I did the beeps with the trigger before, but she did a much better job. And she found for my age my hearing wasn't as bad as my wife makes it out to be. Some loss around 2-3k in right ear. But more in the same range in my left ear. She was sure I had some type of accident in my left ear. But I don't remember anything.  So she said go have it checked to make sure all is OK. 

In the meantime she said wear these, it will help your wife. :)

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

my hearing wasn't as bad as my wife makes it out to be

Cheese, man, don't share that result with her! If she finds out you can actually hear just fine, she's gonna start formulating hypotheses to explain why you're unresponsive when she's offering helpful self-improvement advice. In none of those hypotheses do you come out looking better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Although that one person on the left looks like it's giving her a headache! 😆

Definitely let me know if you guys ever "tour" down this way.  I'm making more now, but still catching up so I don't drive much.  Before you retire I want to head up there and see a show!

3 hours ago, craigb said:

...that's a NICE looking, roomy stage!

Wish I'd taken a photo of last week's stage. It was outdoors, in the Cascade foothills.

When I looked up their website there was a photo of what appeared to be a nice, covered stage. But when we got there it wasn't nearly big enough for the five of us, so I set up in front of the stage, on uneven grass.

Now, here's my stand:

f22c22076cFn3XnO3jmj33wgXiQbctj8wFQlR7uU

It's called a spider stand and looks like it might not be stable on an uneven surface. Surprisingly, it is. German engineering. But every time I set those heavy keyboards on it I wish it was 4x4s rather than spider legs holding it all up.

Because the stage was so small, we had to place monitors off to the sides, on sticks raised up to about 7'. A gust of wind rocked a canopy next to them, which pushed a monitor over. Luckily, its momentum was somewhat slowed by crashing into my mixer on the way down, before settling atop both keyboards. Even with my heart temporarily stopped , I couldn't help mentally totaling up the replacement costs while watching it all in slow motion.

Incredibly, there was no serious damage. I still don't quite know how. That's a 35lb speaker falling 7 feet onto my little Yamaha DM3, then on to the Kronos and finally the Montage. The mixer wasn't even dented. I remain a fan of Yamaha mixers! Both keyboards were askew but didn't fall. So good job K&M. I will stop saying your products are overpriced.

Apologies to Notes for straying off-topic. In my defense, I am still traumatized by this near-tragedy and who better to commiserate with than all of you guys?

• Like 7