Best FREE KONTAKT Libraries (2024)- A Curated List of Reviewed & Recommended Sample Instruments

PavlovsCat

Posted (edited)

I was just doing a batch re-save on an 8Dio library and it occurred to me that when I recommended the 8Dio 1928 Piano -- which is a vintage Steinway grand piano --  that I should have mentioned that if you want to greatly lessen the time it takes for the library to load do a batch re-save in Kontakt. This can make a tremendous difference in load times, taking it from even as long as minutes to seconds. Also, I read somewhere -- I don't have this directly from 8Dio -- that the 1928 for Kontakt won't be free permanently.

I do think it's probably the best Kontakt freebie (in terms of its value; it has a level of detail that no other free piano -- or any instrument, for that matter -- sample library has) available today.   In addition to how much I love the sound of the (very detailed) piano it includes a good deal of sound design patches -- some contain other instruments. So, if you haven't downloaded that one, I would recommend that you do it soon. Yes, there is a version of the same sample library for SoundPaint, however that doesn't have the same patches and additional layered instrument, and I find that it sounds a bit different in SoundPaint. 

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/210274985-How-to-Batch-re-save-a-KONTAKT-Library

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I just added a bunch of excellent free Kontakt sample libraries to the original post including pianos, organs, drums, chimes, and a toy piano. A number of these libraries are Kontakt Player libraries, so if you don't own the full version of Kontakt, you don't need to spend anything to use them, they work in NI's free player.  As always, this is a curated list. I've downloaded, installed, played and found every sample library on the list worth recommending. 

If you want to share your own recommended libraries and think they should be included on the list, please post them below! We'd all love to check them out. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I just added a bunch of excellent free Kontakt sample libraries to the original post including pianos, organs, drums, chimes, and a toy piano. A number of these libraries are Kontakt Player libraries, so if you don't own the full version of Kontakt, you don't need to spend anything to use them, they work in NI's free player.  As always, this is a curated list. I've downloaded, installed, played and found every sample library on the list worth recommending. 

If you want to share your own recommended libraries and think they should be included on the list, please post them below! We'd all love to check them out. 

Keep up the good work Peter! Much appreciated - well it will be once I get back into music after the summer! 

• Thanks 1