Listening to this now

Mesh

Orlando Julius & The Heliocentrics - "In The Middle"

Orlando Julius is one of the heroes of Nigerian music. A saxophonist, singer and songwriter, he began fusing African influences with American R&B and soul in the 60s.

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Sometimes I just need a little Thelonious Monk

"Well You Needn't" - Thelonious Monk

Good to have a Monk for the personal health  .?

Edited by Pragi

Tony Allen - Asiko

Tony Oladipo Allen (12 August 1940 – 30 April 2020) was a Nigerian drummer, composer, and songwriter who lived and worked in Paris, France. Allen was the drummer and musical director of Fela Kuti's band Africa '70 from 1968 to 1979.

• Like 1

"Blue Rondo ala Turk" - Dave Brubeck Quartet

When I was a kid we played at a Muscular Dystrophy telethon. We played right before the Dave Brubeck Quartet. Backstage after the gig, Paul Desmond the sax player was very kind and encouraging to this teenage sax player just cutting his gigging teeth. We played during the commercial break so we didn't get on TV (mom was disappointed) but we loved the experience anyway.

This tune for me is infectious. When it goes from 9/8 to 4/4 it makes the swing seem even more intense, and Paul's alto sax lines are just brilliant (the rest of the band excels too)

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 2

I met Chet in the late 1980s or early 1990s. He said that he really wanted to be a jazz guitarist, but he knew which side of his bread the butter was on.

I think many career musicians find that the genre of music we are successful at chooses us. In retrospect, it's probably the right one for us too.

Chet was "one with the guitar", a very talented player in any genre he tried.

Here is Jon Hendrick's  take on a Neil Hefti/Count Basie song.

Lil' Darlin - Jon Hendricks and Company

Edited by Notes_Norton
typos
  • Like 1

If there ever was a heavy metal symphony this is it. Prokofiev himself described it as 'iron and steel.'

It's not subtle, it attacks and affronts the listener, the dissonances are grating, and it's the closed 'classical' thing I know of to heavy metal. It was interesting at first and the more I listened to it, the more I liked it.

Symphony #2 in D minor -  Sergey Prokofiev - Neeme Jarvi conducting the Royal Scottish Orchestra

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 2

Wes Montgomery -Airegin

Wes Montgomery was known for an unusual technique of plucking the strings with the side of his thumb and his extensive use of octaves, which gave him a distinctive sound.

• Like 3