Listening to this now

Mesh

Spain (I Can Recall) - Al Jarreau

Al Jarreau's classic version of Chick Corea's already classic Spain. Corea wrote it as an instrumental with an intro based on the second movement of Joaquín Rodrigo's guitar concerto Concierto de Aranjuez.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Raiz - Simentera

Very different music from the Cape Verde Islands.

I can't understand a word of it, since it's in an Afro-Portuguese language, but I love the vocals, the vocal arrangement especially near the end, the very nice acoustic guitar work, and even the dissonant sax chords. I can't get enough of this one.

Edited by Notes_Norton

9 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

Raiz - Simentera

Very different music from the Cape Verde Islands.

I can't understand a word of it, since it's in an Afro-Portuguese language, but I love the vocals, the vocal arrangement especially near the end, the very nice acoustic guitar work, and even the dissonant sax chords. I can't get enough of this one.

Very lovely music, thanks for this one,Notes .

The lyrics translated via google translation from

1. kapverdic kreol to portuguese and  

2..portuguese to english :

Hunger of 1947 Eh, eh, eh, eh   It was in 1959 1 The rain didn't fall I was discouraged with my life I tried to sign for São Tomé 2   I went to Praia de Santa Maria 3 To the office of Fernando Sousa I gave the name, they wrote it on paper They gave me the number 37.   Eh, eh, eh, eh   I rocked and went to the market I spoke with Bibi de Riqueta And I exposed my problem to you She helped me to starve myself.   Eh, eh, eh, eh   Four days and four nights At four in the morning I saw the boat "Ana Mafalda" I saw the light illuminate the bay 4   "Ana Mafalda" that has already come To take people to São Tomé and Príncipe I laid my eyes on the floor Not knowing what to think   Oh naná, oh naná, eh, eh, eh   I gathered my things Put them in a bag I caught the boat on board Where they got me like a bag   How many days without sustenance How many days without fast break How many days without starving There I went in the hold of the ship   Oh naná, oh naná, eh, eh, eh

• Like 1

Thanks for the translation.

I actually own this CD. They released a second one, but it doesn't have the same magic.

There is a lot of great Cape Verde Islands music.

Here is another Cape Verde song I like from a very good CD find I also own.

"Africa Mamae" -  Jovino Dos Santos

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

Bei Mir Bist Du Schön - The Andrews Sisters.

When I was a tot and my mom played this record, I thought they were singing "My Dear Mister Shane."

Their songs are definitely dated, but the Andrews Sisters were phenomenally good at what they did. Their consonants are pronounced so exactly together that it sounds like one singer with multiple voices. Even their vibratos are often in sync. Harmonies are good and intonation is excellent. Plus there is a lot of playful expression. I think these gals are the all-time best of that genre of music.

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

John Norum – Guitars, lead and backing vocals

Glenn Hughes – Lead vocals

Peter Baltes – Bass

Henrik Hildén – Drums

Joey Tempest - Vocals on "We Will Be Strong"

Billy White - Rhythm guitar on "Time Will Find the Answer"

Mikkey Dee - Drums on "Distant Voices"

John Schreiner - Keyboards

Andy Lorber - Additional backing vocals

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pragi said:

The rythm of this song (a salsa) does sound for me  like   the Simentera songs / the cape verde rythms.

Willie Colón - GITANA

I love Colón's music.  He was won of the Fania All-Stars at one time and so was Celia Cruz. Although there were Puerto Rican and Cuban musicians on the roster, the music became known as Nuyorican (New York-Rican).

IMO it's not her best, but it's her most famous song...

"Quimbara" - Celia Cruz

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, craigb said:

The biggest disappointment with this video is that it doesn't show him playing!

Right, but I haven´t found a video playing him this song live.

Wonna see playing  Tal Wilkenfeld live ?

Edited by Pragi
  • Like 3