Rocket the Dog (ambient pop music)

Larry T.

greetings!!!!....latest creation is called Rocket the Dog (ambient pop music)....critiques, comments, questions all welcomed....here we go:

link: https://larryterrano.bandcamp.com/track/rocket-the-dog-ambient-pop-music

rocket the dog pic SMALL.jpg

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

pc: windows 10, i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8GB ram, acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitar, focusrite scarlett solo, arturia minilab mkII, arturia analog lab 5 lite, CbB effects, harmonica

reference speakers: M-Audio BX3

Special Thanks to Mike Enjo at #creativesauce on You Tube whose incredible videos on how to use CbB made this possible

Edited by Larry T.
improvement.
  • Like 4

cool picture . . . Nevada?

cool tune! Can you imagine Neil Young singing over it? I can!

It's a bit rubato in the timing, so you must have intended those rhythm inconsistencies, and there are no drums anyway so who cares. It's all a back porch guitars feel, pretty cool. Nice panning on the guitars!

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhonoBrainer said:

cool picture . . . Nevada?

cool tune! Can you imagine Neil Young singing over it? I can!

It's a bit rubato in the timing, so you must have intended those rhythm inconsistencies, and there are no drums anyway so who cares. It's all a back porch guitars feel, pretty cool. Nice panning on the guitars!

cheers,

-Tom

thanks Tom....yes, Carson City area....if i had a dollar for every time i've played along with a Neil Young song i'd have a nice size stack of $$$$ lol!!!!....yeah, the rhythm in my songs has a lot of rubato which is why i don't have drums in any of them yet....back porch feel it is, relatively quick production compared to the last two i did....i think have two guitars on almost every guitar part, one panned L and one R, each to a different percentage....except the bass, elecrtric piano and harmonica....cheers!!!! ????

• Like 1

Larry , I Really liked the suspended and Maj7th sounding chords. They're normally pretty sweet on an acoustic. Nice harp as well.  I do believe a different bass instrument would add a lot to the song.  I believe a deeper , fatter bass sound would get along nicer with the other instruments.                  Nice work ..   mark

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

Larry , I Really liked the suspended and Maj7th sounding chords. They're normally pretty sweet on an acoustic. Nice harp as well.  I do believe a different bass instrument would add a lot to the song.  I believe a deeper , fatter bass sound would get along nicer with the other instruments.                  Nice work ..   mark

Thanks Mark....i played the bass through a Scarlett Solo and sent to an Aux track to fatten it up....i didn't use any VST to augment....just a bit of Pro Channel EQ and Saturation Knob on both bass tracks....i need to experiment more with the bass sound, one of a multitude of things to learn more about lol!!!! ????

• Like 1

On 9/24/2022 at 6:24 PM, Larry T. said:

g with a Neil Young song i'd have a nice size stack of $$$$ lol

Did I hear someone say “stuck in Lodi again”?

enjoyed!

t

in the van, on the phone, the quote didn’t come out perfect, but you get my meaning. 
Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t add a ? ‘s on the harmonica. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Old Joad said:

I really like this, you did a great job recording this??How the hell did you keep that harmonica from blowing up the mic?

I've been trying to record one and it always overwhelms the mic...

Thanks man....i used a Shure PGA58 (not very expensive) to record the harp....i set the record level around -6dB to give it the best shot of avoiding hitting red....the harmonica sections are short so i recorded each section one at a time (there were absolutely no first takes, i recorded, erased, over and over until i got the take i thought was a keep)....i didn't use any limiting, just learned to adjust my playing from take to take....and Volume Automation was used all over the place to bring the levels to sound steady ????

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Did I hear someone say “stuck in Lodi again”?

enjoyed!

t

in the van, on the phone, the quote didn’t come out perfect, but you get my meaning. 
Oh, and I’d be remiss if I didn’t add a ? ‘s on the harmonica. 

Thanks Tom....lots and lots of record, erase....record, erase....there were absolutely no first takes on the harp sections ????

• Like 1