My Finger Span is 7.5" - What's Yours?

bitflipper

22 hours ago, Tim Smith said:

I have average sized hands and when I play they look like claws. The product of not enough piano lessons.

I only took lessons briefly/intermittently as a child with a couple different teachers. I recall one of them telling me I should curl my fingers like I'm holding an orange. Whether due to that advice (unlikely) or just my natural tendency (or tendonsy?),  I do play with curved hands, but I have seen some fairly accomplished pianists play with quite flat hands. Nature or nurture?

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I don't know who that is. Pretty sure it's now Bowie. It's either somebody who can't shave himself in the morning, or has unsupervised children with access to Sharpies.

Just like what you take off to get to the candy, he's not what you want, he's just a (w)rapper. ?

7 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Next band rehearsal is Sunday. I'm going to ask to measure our sax player's hands. <...snip...>

If your sax player has been playing tenor sax or bari for many years, have him lay his hands flat on a table and then see if the fingers on his right hand curve slightly to the right.

Notes ♫

27 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

That's a pretty good Photoshop job, Paulo. You did that yourself? I'm about to go in for my semi-annual haircut, just might take this in to show the barber.

For me, having any hair on top at all is officially a great hair day.

Notes ♫

10 hours ago, bitflipper said:

That's a pretty good Photoshop job, Paulo. You did that yourself? I'm about to go in for my semi-annual haircut, just might take this in to show the barber.

Took all of 3 minutes and that including finding the donor pic.......I guess that proves that it's a hairstyle that you were somehow destined to have.

I'd like to see the barber's face when you pull that pic out. ?

18 hours ago, David Baay said:

I only took lessons briefly/intermittently as a child with a couple different teachers. I recall one of them telling me I should curl my fingers like I'm holding an orange. Whether due to that advice (unlikely) or just my natural tendency (or tendonsy?),  I do play with curved hands, but I have seen some fairly accomplished pianists play with quite flat hands. Nature or nurture?

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I tend to play into the keys further than I should. For me it is a natural tendency. My tough German violin teacher is on me now about picking my fingers up too high on the violin. She hasn't resorted to using a ruler on me yet, but I sense it coming.

No matter what I pick up I can't seem to play it the right way.