Why is Cakewalk by Bandlab free?

synkrotron

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

Lack of AAF support (or good support) is common with a number of DAWs, it isn't just a Cakewalk limitaiton. 

That's increasingly not true:

DAWs with AAF Support:

Pro Tools

Cubase

Nuendo

Samplitude 

Sequoia

Studio One

Digital Performer

Logic Pro X

etc.

…  I can list others, if needed.

OMF is a legacy interchange format, and AAF is meant to replace it.  So it isn't even really worth implementing OMF support in this day and age.  You just go straight to AAF, instead.  AAF is needed.  OMF support is often pretty bad, and most NLEs don't support it at all.

I don't need AAF for transferring from DAW to DAW.  I need AAF to transfer between NLE and DAW...  It's a major workflow enhancement.

Edited by SomeGuy

3 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

So, I'm stuck at a weird situation where I like the interface and the way it's integrated/optimized well for my choice platform... but it might not be worth it in the grand scheme of things because other DAWs come with perfectly usable content out of the box, and it would be a one and done purchase for me at this point.  I'm not very interested in the EDM/Trance/Hip Hop type stuff that is popular, these days  ?

Plus, having to manage all of those licenses (and probably multiple extra web accounts) vs. one DAW purchase.  Convenience is also a factor, at least for me.

The main problem with bundled content out of the box, is that it's usually tied to that DAW. That may be fine if you plan to use that DAW as your one and only, but otherwise ...

Edited by abacab

10 hours ago, SomeGuy said:

That's increasingly not true:

DAWs with AAF Support:

Pro Tools

Cubase

Nuendo

Samplitude 

Sequoia

Studio One

Digital Performer

Logic Pro X

etc.

…  I can list others, if needed.

OMF is a legacy interchange format, and AAF is meant to replace it.  So it isn't even really worth implementing OMF support in this day and age.  You just go straight to AAF, instead.  AAF is needed.  OMF support is often pretty bad, and most NLEs don't support it at all.

I don't need AAF for transferring from DAW to DAW.  I need AAF to transfer between NLE and DAW...  It's a major workflow enhancement.

I'm paid the make video productions and have never used it.  All audio is always handled in cakewalk and then put in various NLEs. (Premiere Pro, Vegas, Davinci Resolve, Camtasia).  But we all have different needs and workflows.  

Also AAF doesn't work "well" in all the DAWs listed, and was my point.  

As for the other post about VSTis. It is much about ones skill to manipulate audio.  I have GPO and find it adequate at best.   And in case you are unaware Sonar was packaged with some stuff from GPO within the Dimension pro program.

I don't think any DAW comes with market leading sampled instruments if that is what you need.

Ugh... 

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

And in case you are unaware Sonar was packaged with some stuff from GPO within the Dimension pro program.

That was kind of my point in regards to value proposition...

Also AAF doesn't work "well" in all the DAWs listed, and was my point.  

I've used the trials, multiple of them seemed to work well.  Additionally, some of them come from companies that also produce NLEs that natively round trip with them, and the integration works as expected.  DAWs like DP have amazing video engines and are designed specifically for the needs of film post production.  Like any consumer that values his money, I'd choose the one that works best for my needs, if I were to buy one of those... the same thing someone would have done with SONAR., when it was a paid product.

All audio is always handled in cakewalk and then put in various NLEs.

That works if you render audio and just drop it on Audio Tracks on the timeline.  I neve said that wouldn't work, but I like a more refined workflow.  I want to Sync Audio Timelines between the DAW and NLE.  AAF works well with most of those, cause I've tried it.  Hell, even VEGAS Pro handles AAF and can do decent Audio Post - even if you never edit video in it.  I think this omission has less to do with perceived inadequacies of AAF support, and more to do with Cakewalk ignoring that market.

I don't think any DAW comes with market leading sampled instruments if that is what you need.

Never insinuated that I wanted market-leading instruments, otherwise I wouldn't be looking at GPO.  I'm just looking for adequate in a nicely integrated package ? I have better things to do than trial out all the free stuff on the internet. Time passes a bit quicker for me, these days ?

Edited by SomeGuy

On 2/5/2019 at 9:41 PM, Bapu said:

I like my three main DAWs. CbB, Studio One and Mixbus. Reaper is 2nd line defense for me. Verion 6, whenever it becomes reality, my be a game changer for quite a rew, IMO.

Hands up how many people read that and thought........what's this Verion 6 DAW  that he's on about and  why have I never heard of that brand name before?

Ok, just me then.?

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 1:11 AM, Bapu said:

I have samplitude and mixcraft.

They are dead  to me. Not worth my time. Not even Samp v4.

Wasted a total of $200 on those two.

I'd be happy to give you absolutely nothing for your Samp v4 licence.?

9 minutes ago, paulo said:

Hands up how many people read that and thought........what's this Verion 6 DAW  that he's on about and  why have I never heard of that brand name before?

Ok, just me then.?

Well, some keep mentioning Version 5 over at the REAPER forum so I just assumed that's what it was referring to :D

So, one person asks a question like "why is CbB free?" and it results in 8 pages (so far) of responses and discussions.  This happens so much that I really believe that some of you must have an insecure feeling that Meng and company are just going to  someday soon come along and pull the rug out from this whole thing and we will all be without this program.  Do some of us doubt Meng or Noel?  Even the guy at NAMM said something like it will be free FOREVER!! 

Is the old saying "If something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is" creeping through some of our minds?

Don't you trust them?  I do.  Stop worrying and enjoy making music!

?John B

Edited by Johnbee58
  • Like 1