Microsoft Office 365 - can anyone help with this please?

SteveStrummerUK

We have recently ......  er ..... "upgraded" to Office 365 from a server based network.

On our server, I have a number of Word and Excel documents (forms etc) which I have saved either as template files, or as normal files set to read only.

As an example, I have an Excel document which is a 'blank' registration form/letter - anyone can open this, enter the details and print off the letter. As this particular example is read-only (and I don't need a saved version of the letter), whoever has used the document simply closes it.

I have uploaded these files into a folder in 365, but: 1) The template files won't open in Word/Excel online, and: 2) I can't see any way to assign read only status to any uploaded document (or convert it to a template of some sort).

I'd really appreciate any help in explaining how to do this with uploaded documents in 365.

To clarify, I need document/templates in 365 that can be opened and edited, but none of the edits are saved.

Thanks in advance.

54 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Yes, a business/not for profit plan we've subscribed to.

Typically, you would run the apps locally on the machine you're running.  I don't think that I've used the web-based version other than for Android but I still had to load the app.  Sorry that probably doesn't help.

As an aside for non-profits, you should check out TechSoup if you haven't already.  Great prices for non-profits on software and refurbished hardware.

EDIT: I take back what I said about web-based.  Actually, I forgot that you can open the files within OneDrive which is part of 365.  I just tried that and it opens fine.  This is how I share some editable files with other musicians. 

Edited by Fwrend
...to add
  • Thanks 1