Arranging entire sections of a piece of music

Tim Flannagin

Question

When legacy Cakewalk went defunct, I started using Reaper as my new DAW. One of the features I really love is the ability to set a time selection from a set of markers and then create a region from the time selection. Once you have your regions defined (Intro, Verse 1, Chorus, etc) it's very easy to duplicate or rearrange entire sections. I realize that Cakewalk doesn't have the exact same functionality, but I'm wondering how other users handle that within the current program? I'd welcome your tips and tricks.

I'm really trying to get back into Cakewalk due to the fact that I have so much time with it.

Edited by cheap_guitar

2 answers to this question

I place markers for each section. Put the cursor at the top of the timeline (it changes to a magnifying glass) between two markers and double click to select a region. Then ripple edit to move parts around.

Edited by Base 57
spelling error
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Base 57 said:

I place markers for each section. Put the cursor at the top of the timeline (it changes to a magnifying glass) between two markers and double click to select a region. Then ripple edit to move parts around.

Thanks! I'll give that a try. It doesn't sound too dissimilar to Reaper's solution.

Edited by cheap_guitar
Englishing..