The Incredible Genesis of King Jethro's Pink Gong

Bajan Blue

You hooked me with the stylus drop and the "ticking" scratch in the vinyl.
From the title I was expecting some Wild Man Fischer or Captain Beefheart, but alas, some real 21st century King Crimson maybe?
Anyway, well done, well done indeed; definitely throw some thumbs up for sure.
From Somebody to Love to Pink Gong; pretty broad palette here man, good on ya.
I'm a fan, no doubt about it; even without your outstanding vocalist, you are gettin' 'er done!

Tom

I liked the song, was expecting prog, got prog, all good! Drums particularly. I really enjoyed the musical journey.

The video is for me at its best towards the end, with visually ambient and abstract stuff. The beginning with the drag queen guy seemed to introduce a character study of some sort, which went absolutely nowhere. Or did it?

Yeah, nowhere. I've made enough "video clip compilation" vids to have experienced the "road to nowhere" issue myself! The song is killer, just wondering if other listeners will feel differently about what they see vs. what they hear.

Overall it's a good package, it gets you thinking, but for me the song is well out in front on this one.

cheers,

-Tom

On 12/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, DeeringAmps said:

You hooked me with the stylus drop and the "ticking" scratch in the vinyl.
From the title I was expecting some Wild Man Fischer or Captain Beefheart, but alas, some real 21st century King Crimson maybe?
Anyway, well done, well done indeed; definitely throw some thumbs up for sure.
From Somebody to Love to Pink Gong; pretty broad palette here man, good on ya.
I'm a fan, no doubt about it; even without your outstanding vocalist, you are gettin' 'er done!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Now we're talking, Captain Beefheart - I still have my original vinyl Mirror Man Album and it still gets a lot of play!!!!

Thanks for the great comments,   very kind and much appreciated

Thanks

Nigel

As a vocalist, cant hep feeling absolute respect ... this work  ( and what I've heard on the Tube etc ) pulls me back to the times I was young enough to feel free ..... 

Thanks ..Great job .. ( and count me in for a fan )💜

ATB

Steve

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:04 PM, emeraldsoul said:

I liked the song, was expecting prog, got prog, all good! Drums particularly. I really enjoyed the musical journey.

The video is for me at its best towards the end, with visually ambient and abstract stuff. The beginning with the drag queen guy seemed to introduce a character study of some sort, which went absolutely nowhere. Or did it?

Yeah, nowhere. I've made enough "video clip compilation" vids to have experienced the "road to nowhere" issue myself! The song is killer, just wondering if other listeners will feel differently about what they see vs. what they hear.

Overall it's a good package, it gets you thinking, but for me the song is well out in front on this one.

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom

thanks for the comments - i think videos   sometimes are there more to try and keep peoples attention these days than to deliver a message or a story  but i do take your point

Thanks again for taking the time to watch   and I'm glad you enjoyed the music 

Nigel

I always listen to the track first and then watch the video on the next pass.

Music I got 100% on first listen.  Great and well done on the musical journey.

The video I couldn't really understand how it fitted in with the track but I am sure there must be some reasoning..  but I didn't get it sorry!!!

On 12/12/2019 at 6:16 PM, Kevin Walsh said:

Great mix, loved the drums! This reminds me of the fevered dream days of my youth in the 70's - a very good thing!

Hi Kevin -  it is a bit seventies   isn't it, hence the  title -  we weren't going to include this on the album as  it  is pretty different from the usual stuff we do, but I'm glad we did include it in the end!!!

Cheers

Nigel

Well Nigel, this was a pleasant surprise, getting an instrumental from you.  Very good songwriting is a strength of yours, and this shows off your skills very well.  The video is very high quality, too, and I am curious if you filmed it yourself or used stock footage.  Either way, it's very well done, regardless of the subject matter.  I'll be visiting your sight more often.

p.s.- as noted above, the drum part is very good for the song, though, this is just me, I thought it stood above the rest of the mix a little much.  My only observation.

Edited by Lynn

On 12/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, SPAK said:

As a vocalist, cant hep feeling absolute respect ... this work  ( and what I've heard on the Tube etc ) pulls me back to the times I was young enough to feel free ..... 

Thanks ..Great job .. ( and count me in for a fan )💜

ATB

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks so much, really appreciated and glad you like our music

Cheers

Nigel

On 12/13/2019 at 3:59 AM, David Sprouse said:

Loved the smorgasbord of sounds.

David

Lol, I love that word, smorgasbord!!!!!

Thanks for the compliment, appreciated

Nigel

On 12/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, garybrun said:

I always listen to the track first and then watch the video on the next pass.

Music I got 100% on first listen.  Great and well done on the musical journey.

The video I couldn't really understand how it fitted in with the track but I am sure there must be some reasoning..  but I didn't get it sorry!!!

Hi Gary

Thanks for the  comments, appreciated -  as to the video,   i think instrumentals are more difficult to do - when you have lyrics the video can interpret those and make some sense - with an instrumental, i suppose you can only interpret a feeling??? anyway it all becomes much more subjective  and I can totally get where you are coming from

Again  thanks for taking the time to have  a watch and a listen

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 2:13 PM, Lynn said:

Well Nigel, this was a pleasant surprise, getting an instrumental from you.  Very good songwriting is a strength of yours, and this shows off your skills very well.  The video is very high quality, too, and I am curious if you filmed it yourself or used stock footage.  Either way, it's very well done, regardless of the subject matter.  I'll be visiting your sight more often.

p.s.- as noted above, the drum part is very good for the song, though, this is just me, I thought it stood above the rest of the mix a little much.  My only observation.

Hi Lynn

Thanks for the comments re the video - its amazing how polarizing videos and music can be -  as I explained to Gary above, I think doing videos for instrumentals is far more difficult than for music with lyrics -  in any event I am glad you enjoyed it!!

With the video, if I remember correctly, this one was mainly if not exclusively stock footage.

We have just released today the latest single  - now this one is all about the Environment   and  the video follows that theme - have a watch and see what you think

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a prog lifer I very much enjoyed this!   Great 70's vibe as mentioned above, and though fairly straightforward there were lots of interesting twists and changes all along the journey.    Nice to hear keys and drums a bit up front.     :)