Jump to content
LittleStudios

Weird Waves mono, mono/stereo and stereo component behavior

Recommended Posts

This weirdness is only coming from a Cakewalk perspective, not sure how this works in other DAWs.

I have a mono track, acoustic guitar.  I send it out to an aux track.  The aux track is stereo.  To no surprise, if I place the mono version of a Waves plugin (H-Delay) on the aux track, the result is mono, yay.  If I instead place the stereo version of the same plugin, in this case H-Delay and set it to "ping-pong", I get the nice left and right back and forth action in stereo, once again yay. 

Here's where things get weird.  If I place the mono/stereo version of the same plugin on the track, H-Delay, and set it to ping-pong, the result is not stereo, it's mono.  If that's not weird enough, as an experiment I first added the stereo version of H-Delay to the aux track, set it to ping-pong, it worked great.  I then also inserted the mono version of H-Delay to the aux track, but I disabled it.  So now I have both the mono and stereo versions of H-Delay on my aux track, but the mono version is disabled.  I was expecting to get a stereo ping-pong delay effect, NOPE.  It resulted in a mono signal, even though the mono version was disabled. 

So simply having a "Mono" plugin on the track, disabled or not, forces the track to be mono.  Yes, the track interleave is set to stereo in all cases on the aux track.

To simplify:

  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin = stereo signal
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + mono Waves plugin = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + mono/stereo Waves plugin = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin + mono Waves plugin (disabled) = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin + mono/stereo Waves plugin (disabled) = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin (dry signal only or at least no ping-pong) = mono signal or dual mono

I'm left to the conclusion that it's probably best to use Waves stereo version of their plugins, this way if the effect is a stereo effect, then the result will be stereo and likewise if the effect is mono the result will be mono or dual mono and closer to the user's expectations.

My next question is, if this behavior is true for Waves plugins, is this true for other developers?  This could be very annoying.  Imagine you have a series of plugins that you want to use.  If any of those plugins forces a mono result regardless of the plugins on the track being stereo or not, you would have to create a series of effects tracks (aux tracks) for each plugin as a work around to create a chain of plugins in sequence to get a result that is stereo.

In my opinion, Cakewalk should use the interleave (mono or stereo) setting of the track to determine if the resulting output is mono or stereo, not let the plugins determine that outcome.  This way if a plugin on a track happens to be coded as a mono plugin, the way Waves mono plugins seem to be, it won't override a following plugin that may be stereo.

Noel or someone from Cakewalk, can you provide some clarification to this behavior?

Edited by LittleStudios
Did more testing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd have to test this to be sure, but my guess would be that the mono plugin is still forcing mono even though it's disabled.

And no, not all plugins work the same way when mixing mono and stereo. Some are smarter than others. Some get downright flaky when you send the "wrong" interleave to them. When in doubt, if the vendor offers both mono and stereo versions, use whichever is appropriate for the track.

In the case of a stereo effect such as ping-pong delay, it's best to set the track interleave to stereo, even though the audio itself is mono.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check this thread.  Waves Mono work in Mono, Stereo versions work in Stereo, and currently Mono/Stereo versions ONLY work in Mono.   When trying Mono/Stereo versions on a track, those can get stuck in Mono.  Normally when changing from mono interleave to Stereo interleave uou may have to Press E twice (or bypass plugin or bin then re-enable) to force Stereo interleave.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

This weirdness is only coming from a Cakewalk perspective, not sure how this works in other DAWs.

I have a mono track, acoustic guitar.  I send it out to an aux track.  The aux track is stereo.  To no surprise, if I place the mono version of a Waves plugin (H-Delay) on the aux track, the result is mono, yay.  If I instead place the stereo version of the same plugin, in this case H-Delay and set it to "ping-pong", I get the nice left and right back and forth action in stereo, once again yay. 

Here's where things get weird.  If I place the mono/stereo version of the same plugin on the track, H-Delay, and set it to ping-pong, the result is not stereo, it's mono.  If that's not weird enough, as an experiment I first added the stereo version of H-Delay to the aux track, set it to ping-pong, it worked great.  I then also inserted the mono version of H-Delay to the aux track, but I disabled it.  So now I have both the mono and stereo versions of H-Delay on my aux track, but the mono version is disabled.  I was expecting to get a stereo ping-pong delay effect, NOPE.  It resulted in a mono signal, even though the mono version was disabled. 

So simply having a "Mono" plugin on the track, disabled or not, forces the track to be mono.  Yes, the track interleave is set to stereo in all cases on the aux track.

To simplify:

  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin = stereo signal
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + mono Waves plugin = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + mono/stereo Waves plugin = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin + mono Waves plugin (disabled) = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin + mono/stereo Waves plugin (disabled) = mono signal or dual mono
  • mono track -> stereo aux track + stereo Waves plugin (dry signal only or at least no ping-pong) = mono signal or dual mono

I'm left to the conclusion that it's probably best to use Waves stereo version of their plugins, this way if the effect is a stereo effect, then the result will be stereo and likewise if the effect is mono the result will be mono or dual mono and closer to the user's expectations.

My next question is, if this behavior is true for Waves plugins, is this true for other developers?  This could be very annoying.  Imagine you have a series of plugins that you want to use.  If any of those plugins forces a mono result regardless of the plugins on the track being stereo or not, you would have to create a series of effects tracks (aux tracks) for each plugin as a work around to create a chain of plugins in sequence to get a result that is stereo.

In my opinion, Cakewalk should use the interleave (mono or stereo) setting of the track to determine if the resulting output is mono or stereo, not let the plugins determine that outcome.  This way if a plugin on a track happens to be coded as a mono plugin, the way Waves mono plugins seem to be, it won't override a following plugin that may be stereo.

Noel or someone from Cakewalk, can you provide some clarification to this behavior?

I'm not sure if this is related or not?   But, if I place a mono plugin on a stereo track, then remove the plugin and replace it with the stereo version, the sound is still mono (or not quite right). I have found by clicking the track Interleave Button, from stereo to mono, and back to stereo again, this corrects the audio sound.

As I said, might not be related, but sounds the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did some messing around in Reaper and the plugin behavior is as expected.  I first inserted the Waves H-Delay (stereo) on the track and set it to a ping-pong delay and it ping-ponged as expected.  The next test was inserting just the Waves H-Delay (mono/stereo) on the track and set it to ping-pong and got a ping-pong delay, too as expected, back and forth in stereo.  I did another test with first inserting the Waves H-Delay (mono) followed by Waves H-Delay (stereo) set to a ping-pong delay.  In Cakewalk this would produce a mono signal without the left to right ping-pong effect.  I was expecting the same result in Reaper, but this was not the case.  Instead I got the result that you would want, the mono version sent its result to the stereo ping-pong and output the ping-pong effect.  The order in which the plugins are placed in the insert list is important and intuitive.  If the stereo effect comes after the mono effect, the result is stereo.  If the mono effect comes after the stereo effect, the result is mono.  This makes complete sense.

Cakewalks approach is not intuitive at all.  If my track is a stereo track and the last effect on the track is a stereo effect, the result should be stereo, regardless if there is a mono effect prior to the stereo track.

For example, a guitar track with a distortion effect (mono) followed up by a ping-pong delay plugin (stereo) would result in a mono, non-ping-pong delay.

What is Reaper doing differently than Cakewalk under the hood to produce the intuitive behavior?  Is Cakewalk's handling of mono/stereo plugins by design or is it legacy code that hasn't been updated? 

I'm not planning on switching to Reaper, no way.  I just happen to prefer the way it handles mono/stereo plugins.  Would be nice if Cakewalk could change its ways.  What is the benefit of Cakewalk's approach to mono/stereo plugins, because I can't think of one?

Edited by LittleStudios
punctuation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it may depend on the plug-ins...

I inserted an audio track and then a mono audio clip into the track.  I added two plug-ins to the FX bin: first, the old Cakewalk Mono Delay, followed by the Sonitus Delay.  I made the Mono Delay 100% dry (so uneffected in practice) and select the "Going going gone" preset in the Sonitus.

The Mono Delay has a single pin coming from it, the Sonitus Delay has two - as expected.

Whether the track interleave is mono or stereo, I get the delay bouncing between the 2 speakers.  It doesn't matter if I set the track interleave to mono or stereo - the result is the same.

That's not to say there isn't an issue in CbB's handling of mono (I think there is - some mono plugins (eg. UAD?) perform better on mono tracks in other DAWs, but all CbB's tracks are, as far as I understand, stereo behind the scenes so this advantage is never gained - but it's not totally broken in this instance).

Update: Cakewalk Mono Delay followed by Nomad Factory Tempo Delay and the result is mono; followed by the old Project 5 (rebadged in a latter SONAR) Tempo Delay, stereo; 32 bit bridged Kjaerhus Delay, mono; Melda flanger (64 bit VST3), mono.  I'm seeing a pattern here.

My deduction is that it works as per Reaper (logically?) with DirectX effects, but not with VST ones.

Edited by Kevin Perry
More info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LittleStudios said:

I just did some messing around in Reaper and the plugin behavior is as expected.  I first inserted the Waves H-Delay (stereo) on the track and set it to a ping-pong delay and it ping-ponged as expected.  The next test was inserting just the Waves H-Delay (mono/stereo) on the track and set it to ping-pong and got a ping-pong delay, too as expected, back and forth in stereo.  I did another test with first inserting the Waves H-Delay (mono) followed by Waves H-Delay (stereo) set to a ping-pong delay.  In Cakewalk this would produce a mono signal without the left to right ping-pong effect.  I was expecting the same result in Reaper, but this was not the case.  Instead I got the result that you would want, the mono version sent its result to the stereo ping-pong and output the ping-pong effect.  The order in which the plugins are placed in the insert list is important and intuitive.  If the stereo effect comes after the mono effect, the result is stereo.  If the mono effect comes after the stereo effect, the result is mono.  This makes complete sense.

Cakewalks approach is not intuitive at all.  If my track is a stereo track and the last effect on the track is a stereo effect, the result should be stereo, regardless if there is a mono effect prior to the stereo track.

For example, a guitar track with a distortion effect (mono) followed up by a ping-pong delay plugin (stereo) would result in a mono, non-ping-pong delay.

What is Reaper doing differently than Cakewalk under the hood to produce the intuitive behavior?  Is Cakewalk's handling of mono/stereo plugins by design or is it legacy code that hasn't been updated? 

I'm not planning on switching to Reaper, no way.  I just happen to prefer the way it handles mono/stereo plugins.  Would be nice if Cakewalk could change its ways.  What is the benefit of Cakewalk's approach to mono/stereo plugins, because I can't think of one?

Mono plugins from Waves are fine and the Stereo ones work fine as well.  The issue is specific to the Mono/Stereo ones. They currently only work in mono.


Straight from Waves website:

“Mono to Stereo components are not supported in Cakewalk by BandLab and Wavelab.”
 

https://www.waves.com/support/tech-specs/supported-hosts#version-11

This is about Version 11, but it has always been this way.

Noel has acknowledged this is a Cakewalk issue and they are looking into it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I was pointing out is that if you have a stereo track and insert a Waves mono plugin and a Waves stereo plugin, for example, the resulting signal will be mono regardless of the order of the plugins in the FX bin or whether the mono plugin is enabled or not, even with the track interleave set to stereo.  The result is the same with a Waves mono/stereo plugin and a Waves stereo plugin.

This behavior is not intuitive.  I ran tests in Reaper, and the way it handles mono and stereo plugins is far more intuitive.  A mono plugin will output mono and a stereo will output stereo.  So if you go from a mono plugin into a stereo plugin, the resulting output will be stereo.  If you go from a stereo plugin into a mono plugin, the result will be mono, as expected.  Now granted, under the hood it's really stereo (two buffers, left and right) and if the signal is mono it just populates both channels of the buffer with the same information.  Conversely if the signal is stereo it populates the corresponding buffer with the left and right channel information.

I just found it interesting and was hoping to get one of the developers to chime in, not really a big deal at the end of the day.  I just use the stereo versions of the Waves plugins and ignore the other versions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Zaquria said:

I'm not sure if this is related or not?   But, if I place a mono plugin on a stereo track, then remove the plugin and replace it with the stereo version, the sound is still mono (or not quite right). I have found by clicking the track Interleave Button, from stereo to mono, and back to stereo again, this corrects the audio sound.

that sounds like the interleave isn't always changed correctly, only when you toggle the interleave independently, possible bug?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

that sounds like the interleave isn't always changed correctly, only when you toggle the interleave independently, possible bug?

Possibly, but I do know that this is one of the ways I can fix the mono/stereo sound issue I have especially when swapping mono/stereo vst plugins from the likes of waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...