Jump to content
SPAK

IN THE SUMMER

Recommended Posts

True story.  My wife just walked into the studio as I was listening to this for the second time (just five minutes ago) and asked:  is this a Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins song?  Is it new?  I just said yeah.  The only thing I noticed is that the vocal seems bright, but it does cut through and is just a matter of taste (or my ears are just tired after listening to music all day).  Another outstanding song from you, all in all!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing is Lynn this was recorded on my Tascam 688 using an old now but then 'cutting edge' ish Casio CZ5000 and some outboard stuff, yamaha 2020/ Roland U220/ Orbit V2/ SM58 ..etc running from a midi track (MTC) on the 688 ... all very organic stuff, .. now made obsolete with VST's . When I went through some old stuff around 10 years ago I mastered it using SonarPlat  ... Funny how the old stuff really holds up to my latest DAWs ie Plat/Cakewalk BandLab and Cubase 10.5 ...wonder if all this tech stuff helps or hinders ... maybe I'll go back to playing the guitar at the top of the stairs ... Things seemed easier then .... 🤔

Stay loose my friend

Steve👊

 

Edited by SPAK
Wrong DAW listed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Lynn said:

True story.  My wife just walked into the studio as I was listening to this for the second time (just five minutes ago) and asked:  is this a Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins song?  Is it new?  I just said yeah.  The only thing I noticed is that the vocal seems bright

I can see that! Vocal isn’t too bright on the Bose cans here. <begin senior moment >My 688 is still front and center here, just using it as a control surface, <end senior moment >but never felt it was anything but a quality tape machine and console. It’s all about good songwriting, strong performances, and getting the most out of the gear you got. You nailed all three. Thumbs up!!!

Tom

ps: I did truly love my 688, replaced it with the FW-1884 that does still sit at the center of my studio. Man, am I getting old???

Edited by DeeringAmps
Edited for clarity, or lack of same
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great song.
I agree a Phil Collins style vocal.

The vocal is a little bright on my Focals...  but it doesnt take away from a great song.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I can see that! Vocal isn’t too bright on the Bose cans here. <begin senior moment >My 688 is still front and center here, just using it as a control surface, <end senior moment >but never felt it was anything but a quality tape machine and console. It’s all about good songwriting, strong performances, and getting the most out of the gear you got. You nailed all three. Thumbs up!!!

Tom

ps: I did truly love my 688, replaced it with the FW-1884 that does still sit at the center of my studio. Man, am I getting old???

Funny thing was that in the day I replaced my 688 with the FW1082 (Really wanted the 1884 but that was all the wife would allow me to spend !)  then the  FW card kept playing up and I replaced that with a 2nd hand ESI 1010 which was great until I updated the desktop with a new M.Board (Prime B450 +)  soooo now it's all done on USB using a Behringer Xtouch and a Steinberg UR44 / Quad Capture .. 😴 ... Yep we are getting old ... lets go an' get a light and bitter down the local ..... 🍺

Thanks for the comment mate

Steve

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, garybrun said:

Great song.
I agree a Phil Collins style vocal.

The vocal is a little bright on my Focals...  but it doesnt take away from a great song.

Thanks Gary .. I'll stand further back from the mic in future :$

Steve

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The vocal is a little too bright, because he has a "bright voice" which is really friggin good, and there is a bunch of cool chorusy processing which also sounds great . . . but just a few initial transients of some words give a bit of a clipping sound, and that might be a too-hot compressor? Hard to tell.

 

OK, the drums? It never gets kicked into the hard-driving section. Full snare, full kick, . . . cranking bass guitar? Dire Straits redux ? Just me waiting. Oh, no problem . . . Subdued all the way through is also good. I get it.  Still, I can dream. :)

This is a really good song and such a cool voice!

cheers,

-Tom

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve
You have a talent for conveying a mood into music and vice versa.  You nailed that melancholic feeling of a long ago summer in this song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 7:56 PM, emeraldsoul said:

The vocal is a little too bright, because he has a "bright voice" which is really friggin good, and there is a bunch of cool chorusy processing which also sounds great . . . but just a few initial transients of some words give a bit of a clipping sound, and that might be a too-hot compressor? Hard to tell.

 

OK, the drums? It never gets kicked into the hard-driving section. Full snare, full kick, . . . cranking bass guitar? Dire Straits redux ? Just me waiting. Oh, no problem . . . Subdued all the way through is also good. I get it.  Still, I can dream. :)

This is a really good song and such a cool voice!

cheers,

-Tom

 

Thanks very much Tom .. I always feel your observations are so helpful, as said, I used my old compressor ( YAMAHA GC2020BII) which was always a bit hot when trying to achieve the correct Comp Ratio/Threshold, so that's most probably it .. but you never cease to amaze me .. have you got digital hearing I wonder 🤔 ?

Take care mate and thanks again for the comments

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2019 at 12:20 AM, David Sprouse said:

You've captured the feeling of a hot day in summer nicely.  This is really great, you should sell to peter gabriel :D:D

DAVID

Thankyou, a real compliment given your understanding of music .... I think I'll give the call to Pete a miss though 🙄

Steve

On 11/29/2019 at 5:14 AM, bjornpdx said:

Steve
You have a talent for conveying a mood into music and vice versa.  You nailed that melancholic feeling of a long ago summer in this song.

BJORN

Thanks mate, have to say it's what your good at too!  so I'm made up👊

All the best

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like your mix and the arrangement -- your choice of instruments is interesting and make for some tasty ear candy -- I also like your vocal approach and tone.  ~~Allan

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 5:15 PM, garybrun said:

Great song.
I agree a Phil Collins style vocal.
 

Great song...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2019 at 8:57 PM, ABull said:

I like your mix and the arrangement -- your choice of instruments is interesting and make for some tasty ear candy -- I also like your vocal approach and tone.  ~~Allan

 

 

On 12/5/2019 at 11:41 PM, Old Joad said:

Great song...

 

7 hours ago, congalocke said:

Phil Collins indeed! The vocals are easy to listen to. You captured a good performance here. Nice work...

Thanks guys for taking the time to comment ... I'm made up 9_9

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...