Problems Coping Melodyne Clip Tempo Map to Cakewalk's Tempo Map [Solved]

Bill Phillips

I'm getting what appears to be unexpected and possibly erroneous results when using the "Copy Melodyne Clip Tempo Map to Cakewalk's Tempo Map" capability explained on page 978 of the 2019.09 PDF Reference Guide and need some help in using the tool.

I'm accustomed to using the "drag a clip to the timeline" method of adjusting the Cakewalk tempo map to the clip tempo. This has worked well for me until now. The band I record doesn't use a click track so the tempo wonders around a little which is fine. I usually drag the acoustic guitar DI track to the timeline to set the project tempo and get the results I want, a project timeline that follows the acoustic guitar DI tempo. But the results I get now seem erroneous to me.

My understanding of what should happen is that the CbB project beats per minute tempo map will be adjusted to match the acoustic guitar without affecting the absolute time position and length of any clip.  All clips should remain exactly where they are with respect to milliseconds and samples rulers. But that doesn't appear to be what's happening for the project I'm working on shown here before the tempo is adjusted. If I hold down the SHIFT key and drag the acoustic guitar DI clip to the timeline Melodyne appears to go through every track and create a region effect and mix it down which to me is not only not necessary but also possibly changing the audio of each track.

When Melodyne is done the tempo map is correct, but I don't know why most tracks were mixed down by Melodyne and the tracks with clips that don't start at the beginning are time shifted which seems to confirm my suspensions that other tracks were stretched.

I've read through the 2019.09 PDF documentation page 978 and I think I'm following the instructions. The instructions don't mention the shift key, but I worry about moving the clip left or right as I drag it.

I also tried another method of creating a Melodyne RX for the acoustic guitar DI track and adjusting the project tempo to match the clip in Melodyne and then closing the region effect. The results appear to be the same because the clips that didn't start at the beginning are still time shifted. This shouldn't happen. What am I doing wrong?

For clarity some of the tracks (including the acoustic guitar DI track) have four to six take lanes which don't show up in the screenshots and it's possible that take lanes are adversely affecting the tempo map change process.

Edited by Bill Phillips
Clarification in hopes of getting a response.

Problem solved. Before dragging the acoustic guitar DI track to the timeline, select all tracks with the Clip Inspector open, hold down the CTRL key and change the Time Base to Absolute. Also, don't hold down SHIFT key when dragging the clip to the timeline. Holding the SHIFT key down seems to trigger some bizarre mixdown behavior in Melodyne.

30 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Holding down shift engaged the quick grouping feature which made it  extract timing from all selected clips. If you want to extract timing from a single clip don't hold down the shift key.

Thanks Noel. That exactly describes what happened. I need to review Quick Grouping.