Lifeless, Corporate Music

craigb

LOL - no soul, the vaguest term in music.   I heard that about dance genres, like duh it's for dancing.   Just assume the average listener is totally stupid about what good music is despite they are the ones who purchase music.   Just like anything else if you want to make income go where the market is.   I remember when Metallica went  mainstream. People said they sold out.  Metallica's replay was, "We did! Everywhere we went."

These videos are a dime a dozen.   The reality is when you get into music performing or production your ears are no longer that stupid listener who puts forth money in music.   Instead we become that listener who thinks that $500 reverb you bought will be noticed by that same stupid listener. Most of the stuff we buy are to impress our audience instead of those stupid listeners.

I found this very entertaining!  Like antler  said,  Starts of kinda dry, but became very interesting as it went on . . .

This reminds me a recent experience I had just this week.  I was trying to contact customer service of a very large (profitable) corporation and "due to heavy calling" the wait times could be somewhat long.   As I was waiting on the phone, they were playing the lamest background music.  Only that wasn't enough, The music was so over-driven and distorted, that it was unbearable to listen to. 

Long story short, I had come to the conclusion that this effect was done on purpose (my speculation) so that a portion of people would rather hang up than continue to hear it - LOL.  They had to aware of this . . .  (even though this was probably a third party service)

That is what this this reminded me about (except the music was much clearer).  I certainly have had my share of "corporate videos" I had to watch in my lifetime.

Syphus

Interesting.  I can see one reply from someone who obviously didn't watch the video and a couple of others that didn't get that the intro music was created to prove the concept (to which the guy apologizes for later before explaining exactly how he created it to be that way).

4 hours ago, Syphus said:

This reminds me a recent experience I had just this week.  I was trying to contact customer service of a very large (profitable) corporation and "due to heavy calling" the wait times could be somewhat long.   As I was waiting on the phone, they were playing the lamest background music.  Only that wasn't enough, The music was so over-driven and distorted, that it was unbearable to listen to. 

Long story short, I had come to the conclusion that this effect was done on purpose (my speculation) so that a portion of people would rather hang up than continue to hear it - LOL.  They had to aware of this . . .  (even though this was probably a third party service)

That is what this this reminded me about (except the music was much clearer).  I certainly have had my share of "corporate videos" I had to watch in my lifetime.

Syphus

Heh, the "best" (for the large company that really doesn't care much about customer service) wasn't hold music, but hold ads!  Over and over you had to hear about features and upgrades you don't care about.  Maddening.

• Like 1