Why does my soundcard stop producing sound ?

Alcar28

Question

Hi everyone,

My setup : M-Audio Code 61, Roland OctaCapture, Cakewalk by Bandlab.

When I'm working in Cakewalk, If I do something else, for 5 minutes for instance, when I go back to Cakewalk, I have no sound at all.

If I hit some keys of my keyboard, I can see some signal (green), something happens, but no sound.

If I play the whole song, or even open a demo one, no sound.

I have to close Cakewalk and re-open it to have it working.

Any issue ?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

Bit depth does not matter. ASIO bit depth is disabled because the driver works at one value. This is normal. Given the sample rates are the same. this is not the problem.

Are you using another product that uses an ASIO driver? If so, make sure its sample rate is set the same. Most Widows software does not use ASIO. In addition to DAWs,  audio/video editing software typically can use ASIO.

Thank you but I'va already done this and unfortunately, it is not fixed yet.

What I've done too : Uninstall CbB and re-install it, uninstall my roland octacapture driver and re-install it, uncheck all power questions on USB Hub, uncheck Hard Drive sleeping mode, etc ...

I'm very disappointed that my new gear makes me loose a lot of time, because as soon as I let my DAW 5 minutes without action, the sounds leaves and the only solution is to close CbB and restart it.

Thank you very much to all in advance, if you can help me find a solution.

Well...maybe if i told about my experience with a Tascam us16x08 you could have some use of it.

I read about people having troubles with it but bought it in spite of that. Needed lots of ports for low price.

It's Windows 7 fully updated and the sounddevice worked good the first week or so. Then it starts to drop sound at random interval and come back again. Did uninstall/reinstall of Tascam but no go.

The more i tried to find a setting in Windows or Tascam settings that worked the badder it got. It got so bad that i couldn't log in because it frooze and didn't let me write text. If i disconnected Tascam Windows behaved ok.

The solution was to uninstall Windows native sounddevice, Realtek HD audio, restart and go in to Bios and disable the sounddevice there. Tascam works pefect now.

I only use this pc for CbB so i don't know how the sharing of the sounddevice with other programs in Windows is. I can hear Win startup tune though.

PS. The reason i mention this is that i got the feeling that the two sounddevices fought each other for handling of the sound. And no change of sounddevice settings in Windows had an impact whatsoever.

Edited by Kurre
Correction/Addition

Adding to what Kurre said, I also initially had trouble with Windows (10) and my Tascam 20 x 20 - due to incompatibility between Windows and Tascam drivers.  Here is how I fixed it; it may point you in a good direction troubleshooting your issue.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Tascam-US20x20-Anyone-using-it-with-Win10-Creators-update-m3620435.aspx

Edited by aether.roots
adding more info