Jump to content
Tim Flannagin

Plug in Audio issues (Soundspot)

Recommended Posts

I have several Soundspot VSTs, and use them in quite a few FX chains. Specifically Axis and Nebula are go to plugs for me. I'd been using them without an issue in Reaper, however I've been using CbBL for the past few weeks and noticed the issue. While using Cakewalk, I'm getting severe popping and crackling. The entire playback will actually slow down when it's at it's most severe. I've done all of the usual things like:

  • Checking for unwanted video/audio drivers
  • Making sure Windows updates didn't turn on something I've previously turned off
  • Checking that all drivers were up to date
  • etc

I even used AZSLOW's excellent script to pull my project in to Reaper, where it runs without issue. So my question is, what am I missing? Is there some other audio tweak I need to make?

For the record, removing all of the Soundspot plugins allow the audio to run properly in Cakewalk. I'd think it was a problem with that specific vendor if the same project didn't run fine in Reaper on the same machine. Any ideas? I'm stumped.

 

Edited by cheap_guitar
Clarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Leadfoot,

Here are my current settings. I'm using an M-Audio 1010LT with the Windows 7 64 bit driver. The downside is that the M-Audio dashboard app doesn't work in Windows 10 Pro.

Picture1.png

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry it took so long to reply. I would try increasing your buffer size and see if it takes care of the problem.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had exactly this problem with the Virtual Guitarist plugins.

Enabling "Load with JBridge wrapper" within the plugin properties solved it for me (even though it's wrapping a 64 bit VST in a 64 bit VST)

If you've got JBridge, give it a try.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Leadfoot said:

Sorry it took so long to reply. I would try increasing your buffer size and see if it takes care of the problem.

 

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I had exactly this problem with the Virtual Guitarist plugins.

Enabling "Load with JBridge wrapper" within the plugin properties solved it for me (even though it's wrapping a 64 bit VST in a 64 bit VST)

If you've got JBridge, give it a try.

 

52 minutes ago, scook said:

Wonder if ExtraPluginBufs would help. Read about this AUD.ini parameter here.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll follow up with the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scook said:

Wonder if ExtraPluginBufs would help. Read about this AUD.ini parameter here.

Thanks for the advice Scook. Unfortunately, no dice. I started at a setting of 64 and tried multiples up to 512. On the bright side, Cakewalk still ran smoothly at 512 with the soundspot vst removed. The curious thing is that even one Soundspot will cause the glitching. Using the same project in Reaper runs fine with 6 distinct Soundspot vsts. I know I'm missing something, I just don't know what. It's not a showstopper, but it is a nusance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some settings that look odd in the images above. I doubt resetting them will fix this particular issue but things like the read and write disk caching are by default turned off and rarely enabled on a modern machine. Are your ini files the result of migrating settings from an old version of SONAR? If so, you may want to rename AUD.ini and TTSSEQ.ini and let CbB build new ones. Also if there are any entries in the Initialization File in Preferences, consider re-evaluating them too.

The fact a plug-in works well in one DAW and not another does not necessarily remove the plug-in from being the problem. It is not unusual for plug-in manufacturers to find out a bug only shows up under certain conditions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply scook. I rebuilt the .ini files as you suggested this morning. As you guessed, I've had CW on this machine for awhile, and the settings may look a little wonky from experimentation the last few days. It didn't completely clear up the issue, but it didn't hurt either. As I said, it's not a showstopper since I have other ways to accomplish what these two plugins do. It's just a minor inconvenience.  When the Sonargate thing happened, I began using Reaper, and frankly having good results with it. But after 20+ years as a Cakewalk user, I wanted to get into the Bandlab version. I like it so far. It feels like an old friend. But, there are a few quirky things I'll have to work through. Again, thanks for the help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...