Project specific problem when loading Dimension Pro

So I have a problem when working on this specific project where Cakewalk would lock up when attempting to load Dimension Pro as a synth on it. It would lock up infinitely, with the CPU usage in the 35%-42% range. Even when closing the program, the process stayed stuck to the memory until I suspended and then terminated the process. (Using taskkill didn't work.)

That, unfortunately, ended up hijacking the ASIO driver and I was forced to use WASAPI shared for the rest of the session, because only a full system restart would bring the ASIO driver ability back. I have attached the problematic project file. The dump file is sent to tech support. What's weird is that it's this project specifically that is causing the issue, I tested loading Dimension Pro x64 in a blank project and it loaded just fine.

Freedom Redux.cwp

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

Well that did it, apparently it didn't like Scheps Omni Channel being on the Session Drummer 3 patch point track. Deleting it before loading up Dimension Pro did the trick, and loading Scheps Omni Channel again doesn't seem to cause any conflicts.

Now the next question would be why it happened.

Edited by Freyja Grimaude-Valens

39 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Now the next question would be why it happened.

I would guess.....

39 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Session Drummer 3 patch point track

Have seen similar comments (here on the forums) using Aux tracks. Might be a good idea to send the project to cakewalk for analysis. Could be a bug.

I just looked at this again, and I have to say the routing for drums seems unnecessarily complicated. You have an SD3 output track named 'Kick', but it's actually getting all SD3 output because you haven't set individual outputs in the SD3 mixer. Then you have that going to a patch point that feeds two Aux tracks, one named 'FX' that outputs to a reverb bus, and one that outputs to the Drums bus  with a send to the FX track. I think I got that right... 🥴  

Why not just have one track that takes the SD3 output to the drums bus, and then put a send on the drums bus to the reverb bus?

2 hours ago, David Baay said:

I just looked at this again, and I have to say the routing for drums seems unnecessarily complicated. You have an SD3 output track named 'Kick', but it's actually getting all SD3 output because you haven't set individual outputs in the SD3 mixer. Then you have that going to a patch point that feeds two Aux tracks, one named 'FX' that outputs to a reverb bus, and one that outputs to the Drums bus  with a send to the FX track. I think I got that right... 🥴  

Why not just have one track that takes the SD3 output to the drums bus, and then put a send on the drums bus to the reverb bus?

That's weird because I have the outs spread individuallyimage.png.800de54c95205121991b3aef3420a064.png.

6 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I loaded your project, took a look at it and inserted Dim Pro without issue. Matter of fact you can see in the photo below (your project) the core use is low and even. If I had Scheps Omni, im sure I could figure out what was going on but I don't have that plug in.

Yeah, I do think that the issue is related to having an effects insert loaded in the aux track. I have sent an email to the Cakewalk tech support about it.

1 hour ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Yeah, I do think that the issue is related to having an effects insert loaded in the aux track. I have sent an email to the Cakewalk tech support about it.

Are you running the latest Cakewalk Hotfix Build 25.09.0.70 ???

There was an issue with the way Aux tracks used Buffer overflow that was fixed in 25.09.0.68. Might not be the same as your problem but its worth a try.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/14/2019 at 5:44 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

In the bad project can you capture a dump file when it hangs? Well try and reproduce it as well. Does the plugin that causes the problem on the aux track have delay (lookahead)?

I believe I have sent a support ticket with the problematic project file and a link to the 2 GB dump file.

16 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

I believe I have sent a support ticket with the problematic project file and a link to the 2 GB dump file.

You can probably just send the project file without the audio (and the dump). That should slim your 2GB to a few MB's.