TTS-1 Works In Old Projects But Crashes New Ones.

mdiemer

Glad to hear you got it working on your system.  Others have mentioned that after problems, they had successes using the Synth Rack insertion method.  I have used three methods: drop down menu, synth rack, right click from track pane.  Maybe the advice is, if one insertion method doesn't work, try the others.

Update: Make that four methods.  I also use the Browser Insertion methods (usually via double-click, more than by dragging). 

Edited by User 905133
to add a fourth method as per abacab's reminder

I have always used the top menu "Insert > Soft Synth" dropdown, or just dragging an instrument from the browser into the track pane, to insert an instrument track, and I don't believe I have ever seen TTS-1 crash. It's not my go-to instrument by any means, but I have opened it enough that I would take notice if there were any issues on my system.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I'm in a project now with 3 midi tracks to different instruments in TTS.  all done with midi controller.  TTS has "never" crashed but this one feels like its going to. Getting a lot of pops and glitchy playback.  Freezing synth fixed playback.  Besides CbB , I only have  32bit Sonar programs installed.  How do I tell if I'm using 64 or wrapped 32 bit TTS. ?   ms

15 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

I'm in a project now with 3 midi tracks to different instruments in TTS.  all done with midi controller.  TTS has "never" crashed but this one feels like its going to. Getting a lot of pops and glitchy playback.  Freezing synth fixed playback.  Besides CbB , I only have  32bit Sonar programs installed.  How do I tell if I'm using 64 or wrapped 32 bit TTS. ?   ms

If you open the plugins view in the Cakewalk browser, it should tell you if the plugin is 32-bit, or DX, as is the case of TTS-1. Click once on the instrument or FX in the browser, and then look at the info bar at the bottom of the browser pane for details.

I would install the 64-bit version of Sonar to get the Sonar plugins in the 64-bit version, and avoid 32-bit whenever possible.

Pops and glitches can be due to various causes, but typically they have to do with your audio driver settings, such as too low audio buffers. Try raising them until the pops go away.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mark skinner said:

If you have No daws installed do you get the 64 bit TTS with CbB. ?   I don't have access to any 64 bit Sonar programs.  If I "really" need my 32bit stuff I use it in a 32bit program then just import the audio to the CbB project.   mark

CbB is 64-bit only, and comes with a 64-bit DXi (Direct X) plugin version of TTS-1.

You mentioned earlier that you had 32-bit Sonar programs installed. What do you have?

(Edit: CbB will run 32-bit (VST, not DX) plugins with the included bit bridge)

Edited by abacab

1 hour ago, mark skinner said:

I don't have access to any 64 bit Sonar programs. 

The Sonar installers com with both flavors included, and they ask if you want the 32-bit or 64-bit version at the beginning. :)

You can use your old download installer files, or access  them again at your old Cakewalk account at https://www.cakewalk.com/My-Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fMy-Account

If your product had shipped on DVD (prior to the Sonar X1-X3 series) instead of download, you can use that.

Hey abacab thanks for the old Cakewalk account link. I assumed after 2 years of CbB, it would not work anymore. I know Noel said we'd have access to that for a while but couldn't say how long. I hope it's permanent.

Although it's doubtful I'd need it since I have downloaded the files on a regular basis over the years and still have all my CD's and DVD's, since 1992.  It's still very good for all the users in case they need something. 

With my initial problems with TTS-1, I was wondering if I needed to download something, but I've got it working fine now. My suspicion is since the crash was happening as soon as you'd hit a midi note on your keyboard that it had something to do with the settings on the midi track, most likely the midi input.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gmp said:

Hey abacab thanks for the old Cakewalk account link. I assumed after 2 years of CbB, it would not work anymore. I know Noel said we'd have access to that for a while but couldn't say how long. I hope it's permanent.

Although it's doubtful I'd need it since I have downloaded the files on a regular basis over the years and still have all my CD's and DVD's, since 1992.  It's still very good for all the users in case they need something. 

With my initial problems with TTS-1, I was wondering if I needed to download something, but I've got it working fine now. My suspicion is since the crash was happening as soon as you'd hit a midi note on your keyboard that it had something to do with the settings on the midi track, most likely the midi input.

As we used to say, "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!". :D

But then again, it always made me uneasy whenever something "magically" fixed itself...

Edited by abacab

6 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

My old programs were boxed "32 bit only" from the early XP days.  Nothing from the command center.  I just wanted to know how to tell if CbB was using the 64 or the 32 bit version of TTS since they are both installed.  

I believe CbB requires the 64-bit version of TTS-1 (included), as it is not a VST (it's a DXi plugin). CbB will ignore a 32-bit DXi, even if present on the system.

But as far as VST plugins are concerned, Cakewalk will use its proprietary BitBridge to include 32-bit VST plugins.

Edited by abacab

7 minutes ago, mark skinner said:

My old programs were boxed "32 bit only" from the early XP days.

I assume you are referring to the Windows XP days, before Sonar was published as a native 64-bit application (I can't remember the version that changed that...)

Yes , old programs I've used  since windows 98  and XP were the norms.  I went to plugin mngr. and checked my scan path. Showing up as C not C x86 . Looking at the files , I've got the same exact .Dll files for the 64 bit CbB as I do for my old 32 bit programs , nothing telling me about 32 or 64 bit , so I guess my question is still unanswered. I think we've about beaten this topic to death , but their may be some clues here somewhere.  Thanks for your help ...    mark 

17 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Yes , old programs I've used  since windows 98  and XP were the norms.  I went to plugin mngr. and checked my scan path. Showing up as C not C x86 . Looking at the files , I've got the same exact .Dll files for the 64 bit CbB as I do for my old 32 bit programs , nothing telling me about 32 or 64 bit , so I guess my question is still unanswered. I think we've about beaten this topic to death , but their may be some clues here somewhere.  Thanks for your help ...    mark 

The Cakewalk browser panel shows a very clear indication of 32-bit or 64-bit plugins if you just look in there...

Edited by abacab

12 hours ago, mark skinner said:

I guess my question is still unanswered. 

hi mark, your question was answered - CbB will only use a 64bit version of TTS-1 because it is a DXi - so the TTS-1 you see in CbB is the 64bit version, whereas the TTS-1 you see in older 32bit Sonar will be the 32bit version (same reason/limitation - 32bit host needs 32bit DXi) :)

/hth

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Thought I had something, but now I can't make it crash, no matter how I try. In a new, empty project.

But adding to existing project with other tracks, synths, it crashes. Except if I delete some of the instruments. Then it doesn't crash.

While TTS-1 is still there, I put those instruments back. Still doesn't crash.

Remove that instance of TTS-1 and add a new one, Still doesn't crash.

Save and close. Reopen. It crashes. At last some info for support.

Edited by Nigel Mackay
New info

2 hours ago, Nigel Mackay said:

Thought I had something, but now I can't make it crash, no matter how I try. In a new, empty project.

But adding to existing project with other tracks, synths, it crashes. Except if I delete some of the instruments. Then it doesn't crash.

While TTS-1 is still there, I put those instruments back. Still doesn't crash.

Remove that instance of TTS-1 and add a new one, Still doesn't crash.

Save and close. Reopen. It crashes. At last some info for support.

You say "if I delete some of the instruments". Do you mean you delete all the soft synths or some? Or delete other TS-1's? What exactly are you deleting?

Other synths. I added TTS-1 to a project I am working on, and it crashed. That's what started me experimenting. Does TTS-1 work if it is alone in a project. Does it work if there are only a few other synths. Does the order they are added make a difference. Will it work if the number of synths is reduced after adding it.

But even if I could get it to work saving closing and reopening a project cause it to crash.

• 1 year later...

Just get EDIROL HyperCanvas VST which is identical to TTS-1 and it works, it has DXi and VST plugins, use the VST. I would suggest to the devs to remove TTS-1 from the Cakewalk installer, it's useless.

Edited by vlefteris
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, vlefteris said:

Just get EDIROL HyperCanvas VST which is identical to TTS-1 and it works, it has DXi and VST plugins, use the VST. I would suggest to the devs to remove TTS-1 from the Cakewalk installer, it's useless.

EDIROL HyperCanvas VST appears to be have been released the same year as TTS-1, just with a different skin. And it's no longer officially available...

The only thing that I am aware of still officially supported by Roland is "Sound Canvas VA", only available through Roland Cloud. Subscription, or lifetime license ($69) is available, but you must re-activate online either weekly or maybe monthly now. https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_sound_canvas_va/

Their basic cloud membership is free, and entitles you to purchase a lifetime license for an instrument. I joined with the intent of picking up the virtual JV-1080, but decided not to because of their crazy Roland Cloud Manager licensing scheme... wish they would just do it like Korg did with their Korg Collection 3 and Software Pass installer... 😢

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2