TTS-1 Works In Old Projects But Crashes New Ones.

mdiemer

On 1/10/2020 at 10:20 PM, pwalpwal said:

not me but how do you think he thinks you called him out? :)

Have absolutely no idea. I’ve read my post a few times but can’t work out how I called anyone out. In any case certainly not my intention. Simply adding some extra appropriate info.  At least that’s what I think. 
Now I remember why I stopped going upstairs. Time to pull my head in again and shut up. 

On 1/11/2020 at 9:52 PM, Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL) said:

Have absolutely no idea. I’ve read my post a few times but can’t work out how I called anyone out. In any case certainly not my intention. Simply adding some extra appropriate info.  At least that’s what I think. 
Now I remember why I stopped going upstairs. Time to pull my head in again and shut up. 

No big deal, really. But anytime you quote somebody in a forum, and then make a statement regarding that quote, or by adding corrections, etc., you are "calling them out" (i.e. calling attention to their post).

The quoted individual then respectfully deserves an opportunity to clarify their  statement.

However, no offense taken.  Didn't intend for the phrase "calling out" to be negative, just that it sometimes begs a response. :)

Nave a nice day!

• 4 weeks later...

Funny... TTS worked yesterday, but no today. Now CW crashes like mentioned in this thread, on first note on TTS-1 track.

I haven’t installed anything within 12h hours, no new plugins nor Win10 has updated itself (nor any other software, I checked).

Now TTS-1 crashes on first note the whole CW. Same project I was working yesterday.

Well, I don’t actually need TTS, I have used to keep it to play melodies, but as I googled this, I found this and few other threads about it, but no cause? I tried to delete all but one instance of TTS-1 .ddl also, no help.

Well.. just that you know.. seem to be common issue

Well, I had 3 instances of TTS-1.dll file, and renaming the one in default folder made it disappear from insert synth menu, so it did worked.. I renamed back, and it was back, so you can... One of the files was dated earlier (from some old backup folder) and i copied that to default folder, but it behaved ths same manner, crashed CW on first note.

I removed TTS from plugin manager to avoid to use it if I forget the problem… I’ll put it back if there is a solution some day..

5 hours ago, T-J said:

Well, I had 3 instances of TTS-1.dll file, and renaming the one in default folder made it disappear from insert synth menu, so it did worked.. I renamed back, and it was back, so you can...

well, yes, of course you can rename/delete any DLL, but DX plugins are registered with the OS not just the DAW like VSTs

glad you figured out a workaround :)

FWIW, earlier today I looked at the file details for what seem to be 5 different TTS-1.dll files based on size. One says File Version 1.0.1; the others say 1.0.2; all are (c) 2004.  I have not yet checked to see which one I am using, but am curious to try to find out which one I am using.

Not sure if some of the variant dlls are problematic. The so-called "Date Modified" ranges from 9-11-2006 for 1.0.1 and from 8-27-2009 to 3-13-2018 for 1.0.2.

Knock on wood, since I started with CbB (05-2019), TTS-1 has worked for me.  However, I only send it through one or two audio FX plug-ins and one or two spectrum analysis plug-ins.

Not sure any of this will help others DX [pun-intended] their TTS-1, but I was curious and figured as long as I did the research, why not share it.

15 hours ago, User 905133 said:

FWIW, earlier today I looked at the file details for what seem to be 5 different TTS-1.dll files based on size. One says File Version 1.0.1; the others say 1.0.2; all are (c) 2004.  I have not yet checked to see which one I am using, but am curious to try to find out which one I am using.

Not sure if some of the variant dlls are problematic. The so-called "Date Modified" ranges from 9-11-2006 for 1.0.1 and from 8-27-2009 to 3-13-2018 for 1.0.2.

Knock on wood, since I started with CbB (05-2019), TTS-1 has worked for me.  However, I only send it through one or two audio FX plug-ins and one or two spectrum analysis plug-ins.

Not sure any of this will help others DX [pun-intended] their TTS-1, but I was curious and figured as long as I did the research, why not share it.

I'm fairly sure that the 3-13-2018  version 1.02 is the latest. That's the one I have.

And the date coincides with the BandLab re-branding of TTS-1 from Roland to Cakewalk in the GUI. It used to be named Roland TTS-1, before BandLab acquired the properties from Gibson

But I don't believe any functional changes were made, only cosmetic.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm fairly sure that the 3-13-2018  version 1.02 is the latest. That's the one I have.

And the date coincides with the BandLab re-branding of TTS-1 from Roland to Cakewalk in the GUI. It used to be named Roland TTS-1, before BandLab acquired the properties from Gibson

But I don't believe any functional changes were made, only cosmetic.

Thanks for the details.  You saved me lots of time--not having to try to figure out which dll is being used!! Mine says "Cakewalk" (not Roland).  🙂  

Edited by User 905133
to fix typo
  • Like 1

Here's an image of the original TTS-1 GUI.

As a minor correction to what I stated earlier, you can see that it said "TTS-1 POWERED BY ROLAND" over on the left.  It actually already said Cakewalk over on the right.

They trimmed the phrase "POWERED BY ROLAND".

Cakewalk TTS-1 Powered by Roland.png

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

I'm going to contact the astronomer Alex Fillipenko to ask him to add TTS-1 to the list of unsolved problems physicists are working on, like unifying gravity with the other three fundamental forces; creating a unified field theory, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, Craig Anderton said:

No.

FWIW, I use the TTS-1 in both CbB and Studio One (with a DX wrapper). Maybe try a DX wrapper that fools CbB into thinking it's a VST? But don't give up - it can work in new projects, and still has some pretty effing cool sounds. :)

Craig, after looking at this long thread, it seems you are the only one who has a solution and are successfully using it with CbB. Can you tell us how to use the DX wrapper so we can use the TTS-1? 

I have a project that needs Steel Drums and after opening TTS-1 several times and choosing the Steel Drums and then having it instantly crash when I hit a midi note on my keyboard. I went ahead and tried the last Sonar Platinum and it works fine there and actually is an excellent Steel Drum sound. I have almost every version of CbB and tried this on the very first one April 2018 and got the same crash. 

I do have the 64 bit and 32 bit versions installed, so I'd love to try the DX wrapper, so I can use it. Please help.

On 2/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, User 905133 said:

1 hour ago, gmp said:

Craig, after looking at this long thread, it seems you are the only one who has a solution and are successfully using it with CbB.

HUH?????

8 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

HUH?????

I'm not sure what you mean by "only send it through one or two audio FX plug-ins and one or two spectrum analysis plug-ins"

What I've tried is to open the Synth rack and hit the + button and add the TTS-1. I can then change the preset, but as soon as I hit a note on my keyboard it crashes. Others have reported the exact same thing in this thread with no solution.

If you can outline what steps you take to make this work I'd appreciate it

21 hours ago, gmp said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "only send it through one or two audio FX plug-ins and one or two spectrum analysis plug-ins"

What I've tried is to open the Synth rack and hit the + button and add the TTS-1. I can then change the preset, but as soon as I hit a note on my keyboard it crashes. Others have reported the exact same thing in this thread with no solution.

If you can outline what steps you take to make this work I'd appreciate it

I mentioned that because frequently I see posts where people use a lot of Audio FX plug-ins and sometimes solutions to problems seem to come from isolating a plug-in or two that are problematic.  My comment was intended to mean TTS-1 works for me, but I don't send the TTS-1 audio to a lot of plug-ins; so, if someone uses a lot of plug-in with TTS-1, my success might not be relevant if another person has a project using TTS-1 that uses more plug-ins than I use. 

I could try to start a new project with just a single TTS-1 instance (no FX) and jot down my steps, but since it works on my PC, I am not sure having the steps will help. 

Maybe it would be quicker if I did a small project that I know works on my setup and you could try that?  If it works, then I will outline the basic steps. If on the other hand it doesn't work, maybe the project can be used to try to isolate the problem with much more detailed steps.

I have several TTS-1 plug-ins on my PC, but I have confirmed that I am using the one on the bottom:

image.png.3f2e4a41a7d93428da44664e9246b466.png

Basic TTS-1 project attached. 

Steps: (1) Open Cakewalk, (2) Open Barebones [Blank] Template, (3) Right Click in Track Pane, (4) Choose "Insert Instrument," (5) Click "Create" in Wizard [no special options, but at the bottom it should point to the main output you use], (6) Wait until TTS-1 comes up, (7) Press the channel buttons at the bottom to make sure TTS-1 is pointing to your sound card/audio output device. If not, problem-solve audio to make sure your audio output is selected as the midi output, etc.

To test my recorded midi: (8) Press Play/Space Bar.  If it plays, great.  If not, problem-solve midi/audio.

To play live (and record), I then (9) expanded the track, (10) selected my usb/midi keyboard as the input device (Omni for all midi channels), and recorded a short phrase.  

Hopefully it plays the midi/audio track.  If that's OK, maybe it won't crash when you try playing from your keyboard.

PS: I just downloaded it. It played when I hit the space bar. Then it played live from my usb keyboard. You might have to check preferences and make sure it is set up for your midi/audio I/O.

Edited by User 905133
(3) to remove TTS-1 project since it wasn't really needed to solve the problem; (2) to add a PS; (1) to add a TTS-1 Basic Project as a starting point to problem-solve the issue.

Thanks for the detailed post. I checked plugin manager to see what DLL I was using and the only one that's in the 64 bit shared DXi folder is the latest one 2018 like you have. I then loaded the default normal template from 2017 and TTS-1 works fine with that. 

Then I tried again the song I wanted the TTS-1 on and this time it worked - no crash. This is surprising after 2 crashes in a row and all the other posts of the same crash problem. So it appears there's something a little quirky about this plugin. 

For my future reference I documented the steps I took to get it to work. Possibly this will help someone else in the future.

Some of this is unique to my setup like the MOTU midi interface and the Ivory output

OPEN TTS-1 IN SYNTH RACK

CHOOSE DEFAULTS

GO TO AUDIO TRACK AND CHOOSE IVORY OUTPUT

GO TO MIDI TRACK AND CHOOSE MOTU MIDI AND CHANNEL - 1-TTS 1

OPEN TTS-1 WINDOW

CHOOSE PRESET

PUT ACTIVE TRACK ON MIDI TRACK - PLAY

So Craig Anderton, I don't need the DX wrapper. maybe it's already being used by CbB. I've rarely used this plugin, but after that endorsement by Craig, I'll definitely check it out more.