TTS-1 Works In Old Projects But Crashes New Ones.

mdiemer

I've seen TTS-1 at the top of the synth list as well. Must be a setting somewhere.  I'm certain that this got broken on a prior update, but since it's not supported I

wouldn't expect a fix.  Probably time to move on to Sampletank or similar. Thanks for the work Terry. 

Maybe check out the utility called "ProjectScope" that was written by a Sonar user to examine some details about a .cwp project file. As is, no support freeware.

It still works on the latest version of Windows 10 and the latest version of .cwp files saved by CbB.

Lists the project notes, tracks & type, plugins, and wav files used by the project. Not a programmer's tool, but a simple look inside a Cakewalk project for the user by scrolling through a folder rather than having to open the project files in CbB.

The projectscope.exe download is available here: https://www.adamczyk.com/miscellaneous-files

I did check out Project Scope and noticed the problem project shows a Matrix Data track  and a No Name track as 22 and 23. My project has no 22 or 23. I don't know if this means anything. The instant TTS has to play a note it crashes.

022    Matrix Data Track    MIDI
023    [no name - track nn]    MIDI

Edited by Terry Kelley

Still working on this. There appears to be nothing I can remove or change to make TTS not crash on it's first note. I've removed all effects and all other synths. I've messed with as many settings as I can. I know the config file contains many more but not all are intuitive on what they do. But this makes me think (similar to Mdiemer) that it's something inherent in the project now.

The crash is a memory access violation. The TTS-1 dll is either sitting somewhere it shouldn't or Cakewalk is accessing memory it shouldn't thinking the TTS is there.  As long as no notes are triggered, everything is fine. File lock? Maybe some other app sees the TTS and is locking it? I'm just guessing.

I will start from scratch building a new project to see if I can get it to crash at some point. Where's Codeview when I need it! Yes, I know, don't say it. :)

Edit1: Freezing the TTS will make it crash. No notes needed.

Edited by Terry Kelley

The OPEN automatically with TTS-1 is actually not that well documented. I couldn't figure out why it only worked sometimes until thanks to the forum &  scook who pointed out the secret was having nothing checked in midi devices outputs. 

I only use TTS-1 for preview purposes. I certainly haven't used it in a song or backing track for a long while. 

I open the project and if I decide to use it I simply populate the project using my Track templates for each part and then point the appropriate tracks to those. The sonic difference is huge right away. 

I've done this as an experiment using only Cakewalk supplied instruments like Dim Pro and the SI stuff. Pretty much Dim Pro can replace most of the weird stuff in TTS-1 but because it's not GM it's a lot of work finding sounds. But once you have them you make a track template and name it  Horn Section or Flute etc. 

I also use a very inexpensive synth called Air Xpand. It's always on sale for under $20 and it has a huge library of very usable sounds. https://www.jrrshop.com/air-music-tech-xpand-2   It might go on sale Boxing day for $9.00. 

One of the big differences is the built in effects are always much better on anything other than the TTS-1.

I hope it keeps working forever as for me it's an important tool and huge time saver for previewing songs. 

8 hours ago, John Vere said:

I also use a very inexpensive synth called Air Xpand. It's always on sale for under $20 and it has a huge library of very usable sounds. https://www.jrrshop.com/air-music-tech-xpand-2   It might go on sale Boxing day for $9.00. 

One of the big differences is the built in effects are always much better on anything other than the TTS-1.

I hope it keeps working forever as for me it's an important tool and huge time saver for previewing songs.

Reading about this. Sounds interesting. And no iLok!

Well, after saying it doesn't use iLok, it does.

Edited by Terry Kelley

On 10/13/2019 at 5:03 AM, abacab said:

TTS-1 has always been a DXi only, available in 32 or 64-bit. Unless you use a VST wrapper, the only other host I know of that will load a native DXi is Reaper.

As far as what you have installed, you can always check whether it's installed in your 32-bit or 64-bit Cakewalk/Shared DXi folder.

I think Sound Forge and Acid Pro both load DX plugins.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:01 AM, pwalpwal said:

yeah... no actual physical dongle, but all the crappy pace software

I myself have never had issue with the authorization of Air software. Yes you have to install the ilok app but once you authorize you can then forget it exists. I think it asked for an update 2x in the 5 years I've had it. I also like that I can use the ilok to authorize different computers without much hassle.  It's almost just as easy as using a USB dongle without wasting a port.  

This is not so with others like XLN on line installer.  I tried to run the demo version of Addictive drums and Keys on a machine that once was fully authorized and the activation app won't let me past the "you already have this on 2 machines" warning. Tried wiping everything to do with XLN from the machine and it comes back so must be buried in the registry.  

Me TTS-1 always crash if open parell over 2 project (3,4 etc) with once TTS-1 one for project. Switch betwen projects and play/stop and crash witch error 0x0000005 (some on load next project ) .  Im tested RAM harddisk etc. - no problem (on other application too no problem) . This bug is over 1,5 year. Sorry for english (google translate ☺️).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 3:32 AM, Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL) said:

I think Sound Forge and Acid Pro both load DX plugins.

You are probably correct, but since you called me out, I will clarify that my comment made in October about DXi hosts was actually a bit off topic and irrelevant, and was just an offhand remark. Listing  DXi hosts not being a materially important fact related to a thread pertaining to the discussion of TTS-1 performance in Cakewalk..  So I stand corrected in that regard. It was incomplete.

The OP had asked if TTS-1 was DXi or VST, or both, and if 32-bit vs 64-bit. I believe the answer supplied was sufficient at the time.

8 hours ago, abacab said:

You are probably correct, but since you called me out, I will clarify that my comment made in October about DXi hosts was actually a bit off topic and irrelevant, and was just an offhand remark. Listing  DXi hosts not being a materially important fact related to a thread pertaining to the discussion of TTS-1 performance in Cakewalk..  So I stand corrected in that regard. It was incomplete.

The OP had asked if TTS-1 was DXi or VST, or both, and if 32-bit vs 64-bit. I believe the answer supplied was sufficient at the time.

How did I call you out?  Just added info about other DX hosts. Even then I underlined think as I wasn’t sure.