mdiemer

TTS-1 Works In Old Projects But Crashes New Ones.

I haven't been able to use TTS-1 in any projects since migrating to CbB. (I'm using the version right before the latest update). I had basically given up on it. Last night I loaded up some old projects from a CD I had them saved on. The TTS-1 instruments worked, although there were some crashes. But I was able to get them all working. Can't figure out why it loads and works on old projects, but if I try to introduce it into new ones, the project crashes. But if I can figure it out, with a little help from my friends, maybe I can start using it again. It's always good to have a decent general midi set. you never know when you might need it.

Thanks,

Michael

I use the 44 sampling rate, which I believe is default? I don't change that. So that is not the problem. Old projects also using that. 

But now I wonder, should I use a different rate?  Would my music sound better?

If you are sharing your DAW audio hardware with Windows audio, you will have less issues if both are using the same sampling rate. This covers some problems posted by users not getting any Windows audio after exiting their DAW software. Some interfaces have been observed to not switch rates gracefully.

Audio interfaces can only support one rate at a time.

Volumes of opinions have already been written about sampling rates and what is best for digital audio, so I would recommend  to Google that topic.

I leave my system set at 44.1, and that sounds good enough for me. Higher sample rates create bigger audio files, so that is one consideration. If you are going to mix down to CD audio, your final master will be 44.1.

Chances are your older projects were created with a 32 bit program.

The Music Creator programs I started with are 32 bit and include a 32 bit version of TTS-1.

Sonar was available in both 32 and 64 bit versions.  The Sonar Command Center automatically downloaded whichever version matched your operating system.  If your operating system was 64 bit Command Center allowed you to download both 32 and 64 bit versions.  When you load both versions you also get 32 and 64 bit TTS-1.

Possible, Jim. Originally I started with Windows 98. When I moved to my next computer, it came with Vista 32, so I assumed that's all it was capable of. When I upgraded to Windows 7, I installed the 32 bit version, not realizing my system could actually handle 64 bit (I was still pretty stupid in those days). Eventually I figured out it could indeed handle 64, if I upgraded my memory. About 5 years ago I got my current rig. I have ported over all my projects from one machine to the other, so they all started as 32 bit versions. So it could be that the instances of TTS-1 are all 32 bit. And I am now attempting to load 32 bit versions on a 64 bit system . I will check into this, hopefully you are on to something here.

By the way, was there ever a TTS-2? Just wondering.

Edited by mdiemer

1 hour ago, mdiemer said:

By the way, was there ever a TTS-2? Just wondering.

No.

FWIW, I use the TTS-1 in both CbB and Studio One (with a DX wrapper). Maybe try a DX wrapper that fools CbB into thinking it's a VST? But don't give up - it can work in new projects, and still has some pretty effing cool sounds. :)

There never has been a TTS-2.

My understanding is TTS-1 is a variation of an earlier Roland software sound module that Roland called HyperCanvas.  Roland built it as an OEM product for Cakewalk.  Both products replaced an even earlier software solution called Virtual Sound Canvas or VSC.  The TTS-1 was first released in 2004.

Roland currently has a competing retail product called Sound Canvas VA that sells for about $125 US.  Read more about it here:  https://www.roland.com/global/products/sound_canvas_va/

Roland also has a subscription model of the Sound Canvas VA.  It is located here:  https://www.rolandcloud.com/catalog/legendary/sound-canvas-va

Yamaha also released a software based midi sound module but I don't know much about it except it existed but is no longer available.

I suspect your TTS-1 files are corrupt.  I would delete all my existing TTS-1 files from the computer, reboot the computer to clear memory then get a fresh download of CbB using BandLab Assistant.  BandLab Assistant should see the files are missing and replace them.

The easiest way to find the files and delete them is to use Windows File Explorer to search your primary drive using the search term TTS-1.

4 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

No.

FWIW, I use the TTS-1 in both CbB and Studio One (with a DX wrapper). Maybe try a DX wrapper that fools CbB into thinking it's a VST? But don't give up - it can work in new projects, and still has some pretty effing cool sounds. :)

It does have cool sounds, including some instruments I don't have, like a soprano sax. I have used low and high strings to good effect also.

Jim, that should, theoretically, work. I'll have to wait until I'm feeling either very bored or adventurous to try it. Although it seems safe enough. Nothing to lose, except upgrading to the most recent CbB is slightly risky. Past upgrades have been problematic at times for me.

I knew and loved the VSC, still have it installed on my old computer with Sonar Home Studio 6, I believe. The variety of sounds there is amazing. Including a Shanai, ancestor to the oboe. where else you gonna find that?

Edited by mdiemer

More info on this: I tried inserting a new instance of TTS into one of the older projects, where the existing TTS instances do work. first time it crashed CbB immediately. Second time I got it inserted, but it crashed when I tried loading an instrument. 

How do I tell if an instance is 32 or 64 bit? Also, is TTS only DXI, or is there a VST version? 

59 minutes ago, mdiemer said:

More info on this: I tried inserting a new instance of TTS into one of the older projects, where the existing TTS instances do work. first time it crashed CbB immediately. Second time I got it inserted, but it crashed when I tried loading an instrument. 

How do I tell if an instance is 32 or 64 bit? Also, is TTS only DXI, or is there a VST version? 

TTS-1 has always been a DXi only, available in 32 or 64-bit. Unless you use a VST wrapper, the only other host I know of that will load a native DXi is Reaper.

As far as what you have installed, you can always check whether it's installed in your 32-bit or 64-bit Cakewalk/Shared DXi folder.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1