How do I assign more than one midi input to a midi output.

Synthmind

A fluke happens sometimes and on a few synths all the sources are selected as IN to a channel in cakewalk. This resulted in some very interesting and colorful results that I want to develop and create with.  How can I assign more  than one MIDI input to a single output? Obviously,  Cakewalk can handle it. Does anyone know how to do this?

6 minutes ago, Synthmind said:

How can I assign more  than one MIDI input to a single output?

If you are referring to assigning external MIDI controller input, to say multiple VST MIDI synths, the method I most often use is creating a MIDI only track for input to each synth I want to control, and then selecting the same MIDI input (port, channel option, output, etc.) on each virtual synth setup, so that in effect, all the targeted synths are triggered from the same external input. -There are many other variations on that type of routing scheme, including as mentioned having "all" selected in the routing.

Basically any MIDI instrument can have multiple MIDI tracks assigned to it, and any external MIDI port input can be assigned to multiple tracks as an input. Choices in the routing can seem confusing at first though, just remember each track, instrument, will have its own specific routing choices, and the various external controller setups have their own MIDI settings, and so forth.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JnTuneTech said:

Choices in the routing can seem confusing at first though, just remember each track, instrument, will have its own specific routing choices, and the various external controller setups have their own MIDI settings, and so forth.

Many VSTis also have MIDI-through (or even MIDI-outs that pass things like arpeggios) capability so a virtual instrument can also pass MIDI as an output. This can lead to very complex routing schemes (and also potential confusion of what is going where with older projects). As you work with more complex routings, it will also be helpful to take notes on specifics because of this so that you can minimize the time it takes to get re-acquainted with older projects later on.

There are also plugins that can assist with layering instruments to make things visually simpler, but a lot of the routing starts with the use of MIDI channels to keep MIDI information "in its own lane," so to speak. When you have an input set to "Omni" (the default) is what will often trip up new folks because that instrument will then play all MIDI it is receiving, and it is not always clear as to where the data is coming from.

• Like 1

JuTuneTech and mettelus, Thank you for your input.  Your responses were spot on.  The depth of your responses is impressive and much appreciated.

I'm using three 8-port MOTU devices and have 21 active ports of external MIDI components.  I will end up with kind of some monster console in cakewalk to do this the way Cakewalk works today. The results will be controlled correctly using multiple chahnels for each synth with different IN ports and channels assigned. . 

Check this screen shot out. The Cakewalk crack allows more than one input port for a synth. This fluke won't allow any editing so it's keep it or fix it.  This started when I added a Kyra and an Access Virus TI2 Polar to the system. I'm guessing its the virus that's the actor.  The point is Cakewalk should modify their code to allow this. Its obvious it can handle this. It would be very nice for the users to be able to choose multiple port and channel combinations  where the Ins and  are assigned as another tool to aid production.

Multiple INs in CW.jpg

• Like 1

Quick note, get in the habit of saving both project templates and (more importantly IMO) track templates when you put that much work into routing things that you may ever use in another project. Track templates are more ideal, because you can save multiple tracks that are project independent... so you can simply add a track "from template" and Cakewalk will insert all of the tracks, routings and busses that you saved. It will save you a lot of time going forward. Always, always save intricate routings as a track template.

• Like 3