Soft synth strangeness

Al Murray

Got a project going that has several instances of Dimension Pro in it and they are proving impossible to route - one D Pro will be playing the other's midi, soloing a synth show the wrong one (or sometimes 2) come up together soloed.   Replacing a synth doesn't help, it seems to confuse Cakewalk even further.  This has surfaced as an issue once or twice before but with this project in particular it's persistent. Short of scrapping it and starting again, does anyone have any suggestions/experience of this issue?

Running Cakewalk in Windows 10 (all up to date)

If I understand you correctly, you're having issues with one track driving a different synth than intended? If that's the case, I've had it happen when the MIDI controllers being used are different than what was connected when the piece was originally done / saved. In my case, I had an Arturia Beatstep, a M-Audio Axiom 25 and a Novation SL MkII connected. Later I opened my project with only the SL MkII connected and experienced a "shuffling" of the outputs on my tracks. Suddenly Track 4 for instance was playing the synth assigned to Track 2, etc.  If you look at the "Output" field for each track, you can see which synth / track they are currently routed to and make adjustments. It should get you back to what you originally had set up.

On the other hand, if I completely misunderstood the problem, let me know and I'll give it another shot. 

Sounds like maybe you cloned a Simple Instrument track at some point. This does not create a new instance of Dim Pro, and can cause problems with unintended linkage of track controls. To cure it, I would split any Instrument tracks to separate MIDI and Audio, verify that every pair is behaving as independently, re-create any that are not, and re-Make Instrument track from related pairs.

Thanks everyone

It most closely resembles Cheap Guitar's description: though I'd find if I soloed a soft synth a different one would play. Replacing them made no difference.  I think it may be controller related,  I didn't clone any instances of D-Pro.  I tried sjoens suggestion but that didn't work - the rouing remained as confused as before. 

What I've done is moved the midi data to fresh midi tracks, deleted the synths and started again with sperate midi and instrument tracks and that seems stable. 

Also, make sure each MIDI track is actually assigned to the intended softsynth. Sometimes I get confused when there's a lot of Dimensions loaded.

Easy to do by SOLOing each MIDI track and seeing which softsynth solo button lights up. If it aint the one it should be then you've assigned it to the wrong one.