Smart Tool/Move Tool Toggle

Michael Fogarty

How do I make a shortcut so I can toggle back and forth between the smart tool and the move tool? Working on a client with phrasing issues, and skipping beats and I by mouse have to go back and forth between them repeatedly. Would be nice to be able to touch a key instead. It says that the smart tool is F5 (though when I push F5 it goes to Now because I bound it top that years back ) and the Move tool is F7 (doesn't do anything.)

22 minutes ago, Michael Fogarty said:

I wondered why is was called a smart tool.

Yes, it has a lot of different functions depending on the context and what part of the clip your cursor is over. Adding Ctrl/Alt/Shift modifiers or combinations of them can give you almost all the available functions without having to change tools.

https://legacy.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Tools.04.html

My favorite (maybe little-known) way to quickly switch to another tool and immediately come back to whichever one I was using is as follows:

Assuming that you're using the Smart Tool and you want to momentarily switch to the Move Tool, press and hold F7*. While holding F7, do whatever moving tasks you wish, then release F7. The tool will switch back to the Smart Tool.

It also of course works for any other pair of tools; for a track with phrasing issues you might want to start with the Split Tool then quick swap to Move, repeat until you have it sounding in time with the rest of the music.

It may feel a little stiff the first half dozen times you do it, but once you get the muscle memory, you'll probably be able to fly.

(*this assumes standard SONAR/CbB bindings, so unless you're really attached to your custom ones, maybe re-import the SONAR bindings from the Keyboard Shortcut prefs. or set up some new ones for the tools)

As @David Baay said, the Smart Tool can do different things depending on where you click, so it could also be an opportunity to print out the page of the manual that has the diagram for that and get to learnin' it.