Getting MIDI output from the Blue-Cat Remote Control VST plugin

I'm trying to use the Blue Cat Remote Control VST plugin to get MIDI CC values output from its control knobs to control an external hardware MIDI controllable device.

Blue Cat's Remote Control is a VST3 plugin and supports 'Enable MIDI output' which I have ticked.

I'm using MIDI-OX to monitor MIDI activity but I just can't get any MIDI output from the plugin.

All help would be appreciated!

I tried the VST3 demo in CbB 2023.09 Build 75, and it worked fine here.

I am assuming you have worked out the MIDI routing in Cakewalk.

In Blue Cat’s Remote Control 3 I noted the following

Under each controller or knob, there are little green and red down arrows.

For a given controller or knob, click the RED arrow.  Then select “Control Output Settings”

Then select “Enable MIDI”.  This is not checked by default for any controller, which is why you were not getting any MIDI being sent by the plugin.

If you want to do wholesale changes, then click any RED arrow, and then select “All Controls Output Settings”

As I did not decide to keep this plugin, I have uninstalled it.

I understand how to set the MIDI I/O for a Blue Cat control, no problems with that.

I think I am struggling to understand the MIDI routing in Cakewalk.

I have a large number of Blue Cat VST controls to get to the outside world and I don't see a practical way to do it?

Why can't I see the Blue Cat MIDI in my MIDI-OX monitor?

19 minutes ago, norfolkmastering said:

I understand how to set the MIDI I/O for a Blue Cat control, no problems with that.

I think I am struggling to understand the MIDI routing in Cakewalk.

I have a large number of Blue Cat VST controls to get to the outside world and I don't see a practical way to do it?

Why can't I see the Blue Cat MIDI in my MIDI-OX monitor?

Ok.  My apologies.

To get this to work, I did the following:

I created a dummy audio track with Blue Cat control in its FX bin.

I also created a dummy MIDI track.  Its input set to Blue Cat control.  Its output set to what ever synth (VSTi or external) I wish to control.  

I caught that right away as I was reading. To elaborate on what Pro midi has said.

All your hardware devices need to be selected in Preferences/Midi/ Devices/ Output 

From there I’m not sure as I sort of think that plug ins that send midi output do this only internally by default.  

Example Ample P bass will show as an available input to another midi track when output is enabled.    

So this is just internal to Cakewalk.  I’m pretty sure it goes no where else. 

So it would seem you have to do as @Promidi has described to loop it back out. 

Edited by John Vere

Thanks for info.

If I understand you explanations, I would need to create two 'dummy' MIDI tracks for every instance of Blue Cat Remote Control 3 I wanted to get external MIDI I/O to/from.  Sadly not very practical when I would be using perhaps 40 instances on a project.

I will contact the designers of the plug-in and see if there of a way to get direct MIDI access to each instance, otherwise I may need to find another VST MIDI controller plugin.

Suggestions for alternatives would be welcomed!

• 2 weeks later...

Cakewalk is far from convenient for MIDI processing, since VST MIDI processors are not supported (can be used as VSTi only) and MIDI routing is not flexible (apart from hard to follow and sometimes buggy).

You can check Ctrlr (free). It allows talk to external MIDI port from within plug-in (so without DAW). Not sure that works from several instances to the same device...
If the target is just making a panel to control external device with MIDI, you can stop reading here ;)

For complicated MIDI hardware controlling, REAPER is probably most flexible. Not only it allows VST MIDI processors (most DAWs except Cakewalk allow that), it supports:
* arbitrary MIDI routing (including between tracks and sends to external MIDI)
* several MIDI buses on one track (a track is not limited to just one MIDI stream)
* Input FX - plug-ins can change MIDI (and audio) before it is recorded
* build-in MIDI modulation. Including MIDI learn and MIDI control for parameters in any VSTs, even those which don't support MIDI control directly.
* build-in audio modulation, so audio level can control arbitrary parameter. Combined with "parameter to MIDI" capable plug-in (f.e. build-in), audio level can be "converted" to MIDI changes and then processed/routed/recorded.
* when some wish is still not covered, scripting and plug-in extension are supported, with access to everything (MIDI, audio, content, DAW/project state, etc.). And some special MIDI related plug-ins make use of that (f.e. ReaLearn).

PS. Long, long time ago Cakewalk had build-in solution for controlling external hardware. It was called StudioWare. Unfortunately for unknown reason that functionality was abandoned...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, azslow3 said:

PS. Long, long time ago Cakewalk had build-in solution for controlling external hardware. It was called StudioWare. Unfortunately for unknown reason that functionality was abandoned...

Studioware panels (and CAL Scripts) still open and run in Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I have many custom Studioware panels and Cal Scripts that I still use every day for my Cakewalk projects. 

You just cannot edit them in Cakewalk by Bandlab.  You need a pre 2002 version of Cakewalk to edit them (which I still do).