Jump to content
  • 0
Robert Whitaker

Audio track will not stay armed

Question

When I arm a track for recording in Cakewalk, I can record without issue. As soon as the transport is stopped, I need to un-arm and re-arm the track before it will record again. The indicator button still indicates the track is armed but it receives no input.

I don't want to have to cycle the arming of a record track for each take. Is there some setting I am missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Are you referring to the Input echo button or the record button itself ? and are you using "Comping" mode to record multiple takes per track ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/15/2019 at 3:27 AM, Chuck E Baby said:

Are you referring to the Input echo button or the record button itself ? and are you using "Comping" mode to record multiple takes per track ?

It does not matter if I am in comp mode or not. Here is a step-by-step.

I arm a track (the armed for recording button lights up).

I press record and the transport activates.

I press stop and the take is successfully recorded (the armed for recording button for that track is still it up) but the VU meter now indicates it is not receiving input from the instrument.

I press record and the transport activates.

I press stop but now nothing is recorded (the armed for recording button for that track is still it up).

Only if I un-arm the track and re-arm it between takes will it record each time.

IF I TURN ON INPUT ECHO FOR THE TRACK IT WILL CONTINUE TO RECORD EACH TAKE WITHOUT HAVING TO CYCLE THE ARMED FOR RECORDING BUTTON.

 

Edited by Robert Whitaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Robert Whitaker said:

IF I TURN ON INPUT ECHO FOR THE TRACK IT WILL CONTINUE TO RECORD EACH TAKE WITHOUT HAVING TO CYCLE THE ARMED FOR RECORDING BUTTON.

Depending on how you are monitoring, this is okay to have input echo on. I know personally I have it on each time I record audio tracks because I am monitoring Amp Sims, FX, guitar signals, exc as I record each pass. What I quoted from you above, is normal working situations for most of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Depending on how you are monitoring, this is okay to have input echo on. I know personally I have it on each time I record audio tracks because I am monitoring Amp Sims, FX, guitar signals, exc as I record each pass. What I quoted from you above, is normal working situations for most of us.

Yeah I know it is okay, under many circumstances to have input echo on, in fact, I discovered this after my initial post. However, this seems like a workaround. Without input echo on, one would expect that, if the track is armed, it should accept input without having to dis-arm and re-arm. I'm new to CbB but previous version of Sonar did not exhibit this behavior.

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Robert Whitaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Robert Whitaker said:

but previous version of Sonar did not exhibit this behavior.

They don't now either.

Im not sure what you are doing to have this happen. Possibly a "Stop at project end" is causing it.

I tried to reproduce this and I couldn't. I thought at first maybe it was because you were arming the take lane vs. the track itself.

Wish I could be more help as to why this is happening. I just cant repro it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
30 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Sounds like an interface driver issue that the port is getting closed on stop.  What interface, and what driver mode?

I believe this... MIDIPLUS S-Engine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hmmm... yeah, forgot about that thread.  I would respectfully suggest it might be time to return that thing, and get an interface from a more reputable manufacturer.

  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
15 hours ago, scook said:

If this is related to the MIDI device, the other thread did not mention checking the MIDI driver mode

This could be an issue if the OP uses Win10.

Another thread he does mention he is using Windows 10

And using ASIO4ALL 9_9 Probably have better luck with WASAPI

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

I believe this... MIDIPLUS S-Engine

No, It's it not that. Removed that device and the driver isn't even seen by Cakewalk anymore.

 

Edited by Robert Whitaker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Another thread he does mention he is using Windows 10

And using ASIO4ALL 9_9 Probably have better luck with WASAPI

 

That's not the problem. I removed the ASIO4ALL driver. I'm now using the ASIO driver for the device - PreSonus Studio 26c.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 hours ago, David Baay said:

Hmmm... yeah, forgot about that thread.  I would respectfully suggest it might be time to return that thing, and get an interface from a more reputable manufacturer.

It's not the MIDI driver or device. The problem exists with no MIDI device connected or driver selected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, David Baay said:

Sounds like an interface driver issue that the port is getting closed on stop.  What interface, and what driver mode?

It's a PreSonus Studio 26c using ASIO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Im running low on solutions but I might be able to suggest a few more..

- Any midi devices plugged in ? (these can send midi messages to turn off REC functions)

- Are you in punch in mode ? (this might turn off REC mode)

- Where you viewing the REC button from ? (Note: To see the Arm for Recording button in the Track Inspector and Console view, make sure the MSR module is visible.)

- Possibly Auto arm is confusing something here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I don't really have a good idea why this is happening , but it seems pretty clear there's some interoperability issue between Cakewalk and the Presonus driver.

I can only suggest you uninstall anything related to that S-Engine interface, and maybe re-install the latest Presonus driver, and make sure the Playback and Record Timing Master settings in Cakewalk preferences are referencing it. And don't make it the default device for audio playback or recording in Windows (let Windows use your onboard audio).

Beyond that, you might want to contact Presonus to see if they can replicate this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...