Jump to content
  • 0
Silvio Gazquez

windows blue screen issue

Question

Hello there, 

So I'm getting the windows  blue screen of death pretty often lately while opening cakewalk projects.

Anyone had the same problem?

I have a PC i5 with 20gb ram, running windows 7 64bits 

Thanks,

Silvio

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
19 minutes ago, Silvio Gazquez said:
15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

@Silvio Gazquez - what audio interface are you using?

Scarlet 2i2 2nd gen

Focusrite have acknowledged an issue in their driver switching between ASIO / WASAPI that causes a blue screen (and I've heard reports of the same happening in the very latest driver when changing ASIO buffer size).

Until they fix this avoid swapping between WASAPI and ASIO.

If you can, avoid using your 2i2 as your Windows device (set Windows to use your on-board sound device), and use ASIO exclusively in Cakewalk.

If you do need to use your 2i2 as your Windows device, then use WASAPI mode within Cakewalk, and ensure that Windows is using the same sample rate as Cakewalk (keep an eye on this... Windows updates has a habit of changing it).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
42 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Focusrite have acknowledged an issue in their driver switching between ASIO / WASAPI that causes a blue screen (and I've heard reports of the same happening in the very latest driver when changing ASIO buffer size).

Until they fix this avoid swapping between WASAPI and ASIO.

If you can, avoid using your 2i2 as your Windows device (set Windows to use your on-board sound device), and use ASIO exclusively in Cakewalk.

If you do need to use your 2i2 as your Windows device, then use WASAPI mode within Cakewalk, and ensure that Windows is using the same sample rate as Cakewalk (keep an eye on this... Windows updates has a habit of changing it).

 

Ok, will check. Whats the difference between wasapi and asio? is one better than the other?

Thanks,

 

Silvio.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Silvio Gazquez said:

Ok, will check. Whats the difference between wasapi and asio? is one better than the other?

Thanks,

 

Silvio.

 

For dedicated audio devices such as the 2i2, ASIO is usually best as it bypasses all the Windows layers and accesses the audio device directly.

However in Windows 10, WASAPI can perform almost as good if not the same as ASIO for most modern devices.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

For dedicated audio devices such as the 2i2, ASIO is usually best as it bypasses all the Windows layers and accesses the audio device directly.

However in Windows 10, WASAPI can perform almost as good if not the same as ASIO for most modern devices.

 

I see... but what about in terms of audio quality? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, Silvio Gazquez said:

I see... but what about in terms of audio quality? 

Audio quality is exactly the same.

The only difference between the two is that ASIO generally has better latency. This isn't always the case though, sometimes WASAPI can be just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Audio quality is exactly the same.

The only difference between the two is that ASIO generally has better latency. This isn't always the case though, sometimes WASAPI can be just as good.

Ok, will check all that.. Thanks for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Audio quality is exactly the same.

The only difference between the two is that ASIO generally has better latency. This isn't always the case though, sometimes WASAPI can be just as good.

So in order to change to wasapi I have to install focusrite wasapi drivers? Sorry for my ignorance 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Silvio Gazquez said:

So in order to change to wasapi I have to install focusrite wasapi drivers? Sorry for my ignorance 😃

No need to install any different drivers - just change the mode within Cakewalk:

image.png.c577f787a7c0588d3b0c4eab36050770.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

By the way, I just remembered that i had another issue  in another PC. Its an i7 64 bits with win 10. 

So i had Sonar 6 and installed Sony Vegas Pro 17 and worked fine. Then I installed Cakewalk by bandlab and 

Vegas didnt open anymore.  It gets stuck here (see image)

 

 

fdd.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...