UA MiniMoog Native! One for the books!

Keni

One shortcoming for me.

I guess their' attitude to stay true to original? ...but there's no way to see or access/input specific values fir the various controls. For me that’s a modern convenience that doesn’t take away from authenticity. It can be ignored easily for anyone so inclined.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

So how does this compare to the vast plethora of other Minimoog emulations?

Inquired minds... inquired minds...

Could it be that UAD is utilizing the softube software under own branding, like they used to do with a few other plugins?

• Like 1

I was happy to get the UAD Minimoog as part of the recent creative bundle deal, since I quite like their PolyMax and Opal.  TBH though, the Cherry Audio version scratched MY Moog itch pretty well (and it may have been a feebie, IIRC).  But it has been a few decades since I had hands and ears on the hardware, so foggy memories are easily reconciled.

• Like 2

So hard to chose. There are so many that are all excellent.

I really like the Cherry Audio stuff, but even tho they managed to thin it a bit recently, they are still very resource hungry.

I was very happy with the Arturia version but moving to my new machine lost the authorization for it and though 64 bit, too old for Arturia to have registration info so it only runs in demo mode where it remembers no patch selection or settings and can’t save. So a bit of a pain.

I also still have and use the 32bit free MinimogueVA which is actually quite good though maybe not as fat sounding?

This one from UA seems quite good, but I’m not 100% happy as it doesn’t allow manual numerical input values. I’m far too OC to trust my hands anymore! ...and is it missing some switches? Maybe an earlier version than I’m remembering. And something "strange" about the modulations controls and such at bottom? Maybe I just need to get used to it?

10 minutes ago, Keni said:

I was very happy with the Arturia version but moving to my new machine lost the authorization for it and though 64 bit, too old for Arturia to have registration info so it only runs in demo mode where it remembers no patch selection or settings and can’t save. So a bit of a pain.

Did you contact Arturia support?  I have often had success with their suggestions, although if the first solution they offer doesn't work, I have found that updating the ticket with the details can narrow it down to a solution that works on my system.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

Did you contact Arturia support?  I have often had success with their suggestions, although if the first solution they offer doesn't work, I have found that updating the ticket with the details can narrow it down to a solution that works on my system.

Yeah, I contacted them. Their recommendation? Buy the new version as the one I have is long defunct and no records of purchases that old exist.

They want $149 for it and being 60% below poverty level, I let that slide. Fir me at the moment it was between Cherry Audio's at $39 and the UA at $59. I decided to try the UA as I already expect the Cherry to be excellent, but a heavy resource demand. In that respect I did ok as the UA appears very resource reasonable.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Keni said:

Yeah, I contacted them. Their recommendation? Buy the new version as the one I have is long defunct and no records of purchases that old exist.

LOL I still that 2012 'relic' on my system.  When I fire it up it requires re-activation - and IIRC it won't.
Probably should delete it as I can't/don't use it.
At one point I had a number of MiniMoog freebies but never used them so at some point I stopped moving them from computer to computer as I upgraded hardware.

Nowadays I do have the newer Arturia version and couple of other substitutes but
If I'm looking for a Minimoog type sound I usually just use my old LinPlug /Rob Papen Albino 3 - still love that plugin.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

LOL I still that 2012 'relic' on my system.  When I fire it up it requires re-activation - and IIRC it won't.
Probably should delete it as I can't/don't use it.
At one point I had a number of MiniMoog freebies but never used them so at some point I stopped moving them from computer to computer as I upgraded hardware.

Nowadays I do have the newer Arturia version and couple of other substitutes but
If I'm looking for a Minimoog type sound I usually just use my old LinPlug /Rob Papen Albino 3 - still love that plugin.

Yeah, that’s what happened here too, but I continued to use it in demo mode as it’s so good!

luckily their' demo mode doesn’t create the insulting periodic noise. Instead they disable midi patch call and no preset saving. So always restricted by that.

This on is good but difficult to quickly recreate known settings without more accurate knob setting than a mouse drag.

23 minutes ago, Fleer said:

You can move it to your Mac :)

Really?

How would I go about that? That would be halfway as my Mac is an alternate boot to my windows boot where I actually do music work. I had a demo copy of Logic fir a while but no more.

19 minutes ago, Keni said:

Really?

How would I go about that? That would be halfway as my Mac is an alternate boot to my windows boot where I actually do music work. I had a demo copy of Logic fir a while but no more.

Simples. It’s available in the Mac App Store and doesn’t cost you anything extra. 

50 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Simples. It’s available in the Mac App Store and doesn’t cost you anything extra. 

Cool! Well that sounds simple enough. I'll check into it asap...

Thanks! I don't know how I'll use it, but it's a step. One day I may even install a DAW on the Mac?

I wonder if I can do the same with the Model (5/10/15 I forget) and the Animoog?

• Like 1