[SOLVED] Can anyone confirm/deny that VC64 works in Windows 11?

SuperFreq

[SOLVED] See post #6

Talking about the old plugin Vintage Channel 64 that came with Sonar up until X2.

I just upgraded my computer to Windows 11 with a clean wipe/install of everything. The problem is all old projects that use VC64 are silent on that track. Even worse, if I try to disable, delete or open the VC64 plugin it freezes my DAW forcing an Endtask (I'm using Sonar 8.5).

Everything worked fine on the same machine running Windows 10. So that leads me to believe something about my Windows 11 installation--or maybe Windows 11 itself--doesn't jibe with VC64.

I realize I may be the only one who has VC64 installed, but in case there are any old timers who have it on Windows 11, can you check to see if it works?

Edited by SuperFreq

Huge thanks for checking on that! Now I can narrow it down.

Ok so it's not a VC64 compatibility issue with Win11, at least not via CbB.

I tried reinstalling Sonar 8.5 but the problem persists. Maybe it's the project file itself but it's happening on 3 I've tested. Next I'll try starting a new project and putting it on a brand new track...

Consider re-installing the plug-in using the X2 installer as it is several years newer than 8.5.

Opening projects in safe mode will prompt to skip/load plug-ins. To invoke safe mode, hold down the SHIFT key when opening a project.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scook said:

Consider re-installing the plug-in using the X2 installer as it is several years newer than 8.5.

Opening projects in safe mode will prompt to skip/load plug-ins. To invoke safe mode, hold down the SHIFT key when opening a project.

Brilliant, will do!

I did create a new Sonar 8.5 project, and VC64 loaded & worked fine. The problem seems to be with old project files that have VC64.

Trying to reinstall VC64 with the X2 installer now... will post update...

• SuperFreq changed the title to [SOLVED] Can anyone confirm/deny that VC64 works in Windows 11?

Glad safe mode worked.

With very few exceptions, it is not necessary to install the DAW to get the plug-ins bundled with the DAW. Many plug-ins were updated since 8.5. If one has access to a newer installer such as X2, running an advanced install for the newer plug-ins may be a good idea.

Sometimes plug-ins were updated along with the DAW, for example the latest V-Vocal is only available in X2a. 

• Like 4

On 8/15/2023 at 1:35 PM, scook said:

Glad safe mode worked.

With very few exceptions, it is not necessary to install the DAW to get the plug-ins bundled with the DAW. Many plug-ins were updated since 8.5. If one has access to a newer installer such as X2, running an advanced install for the newer plug-ins may be a good idea.

Sometimes plug-ins were updated along with the DAW, for example the latest V-Vocal is only available in X2a. 

I'm going to try that next. Although I survived the real heart stopper (all my old projects being frozen), I'm still encountering problems. After loading in safe mode & skipping all VC64 plugs, I started adding them back one at a time. Apparently it can only handle 5 instances of VC64 on playback before it goes silent and freezes up.

This is in Windows 11... I actually did a total reinstall of Win11 & Sonar 8.5 just to be sure it wasn't an installation hitch.

So next I'm going to try the X2 installation of VC64.

If that doesn't work I'll roll back to Windows 10, or maybe Win7 because I always preferred that over 10. Might seem drastic but I used the heck outta VC64! It's probably my most used plugin ever.

Fingers crossed that the X2 version of VC64 clears it up because that'll make my life a lot simpler...

I have a related question and hope it's ok to ask it here.

Is there a 64-bit version? The one I have 32-bit?

Also, I just finished installing plugins from 8-Platinum in order. I assumed that plugins would be upgraded to the latest version. i.e newer versions would replace older versions. Is that not true?

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2023 at 1:05 PM, Bill Phillips said:

I have a related question and hope it's ok to ask it here.

Is there a 64-bit version? The one I have 32-bit?

Sorry for the late reply... There's no chance unfortunately. In the thread I linked up top, Magic Russ said: "due to issues with the developer, this is not something you should expect to see upgraded to 64 bit any time soon."

It's a shame because I use the heck outta VC64. Particularly on vocals, there's a setting called Breathing Vox which is like the Andrew Scheps trick of using 2 filters and an LA-2A compressor to make the track pop out. Except VC64 does it all by itself. I don't think I'll ever quit using it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I too, loved VC64 - I didn't even realize it was a cakewalk thing (I thought I got it through a musician coming into the studio).  I lost it when I swicthed to a new DAW and installed a fresh CbB (my previous CbB was installed on top of Sonar X3, which was on top of X2, etc, back to Cakewalk (Twelve-tone systems' - I'm old; started w/Cakewalk v2 and thought sliced bread had nothing over v4 and midi+audio)

If anyone knows a good combination of the other plug-ins that do as "nice" a job as VC64 (limiter/compressor/multi-layered) please share.