Project crashes after certain procedures

T Boog

Hi guys. Whenever I duplicate a track then press play, the project crashes. So instead, I have to save it and reopen the project then press play. The same thing happens with certain other procedures, like when I open a bundle as a project. I have to immediately save & restart it. If not, it crashes. Is this normal?

37 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

Definitely not normal, I do this all the time.

What effects have you got in your project?

Are you getting a crash log?

Hi Tim. I have a lot of effects. Like TTS-1, VX64, Sonitus delays, etc. But it did this even when I only had a few tracks with little effects.

I just got it to crash again then I looked in the Events Viewer and it showed the Cakewalk crash error. However, all the info and code stuff is over my head.

I just read it could be driver related(?). I def hear a click/pop when it crashes. I had the buffer set very fast when it just crashed. Maybe that has something to do with it?

TTS-1 is crash-prone, unfortunately. This is old Roland code that the Bakers have no access to inside of the plugin. I'd almost certainly say the crashes will go away if you take that out (or bounce that down to audio, and remove the effect). My system is super stable but I can almost count on TTS-1 to crash it fairly regularly when I use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

TTS-1 is crash-prone, unfortunately. This is old Roland code that the Bakers have no access to inside of the plugin. I'd almost certainly say the crashes will go away if you take that out (or bounce that down to audio, and remove the effect). My system is super stable but I can almost count on TTS-1 to crash it fairly regularly when I use it.

I think u may have something Tim. After all, the TTS-1 was the first thing I started tracking the project with. I still been editing the midi on it but I'll be freezing that track soon.

In the meantime, I'll just restart the project when I make those type of edits.

Btw Tim, does the ocassional crash like that pose any risk to my project file or to my system?

It *shouldn't* but there are some cases where things can corrupt over time and add up.

I'm going to be a hypocrite and say "try to avoid using TTS-1" just for that reason alone, although I still tend to use it despite the risks.  Apparently if this is the first plugin inserted into your project, it tends to work correctly and the speculation is that under the hood there's some old 32 bit code that's wrapped in a 64 bit container that's not playing nice. I personally haven't had TTS-1 corrupt a project at all (and certainly not the file system), but it's definitely made them crash more. Useable sounds, but use at your own risk, basically.

7 minutes ago, Lord Tim said:

It *shouldn't* but there are some cases where things can corrupt over time and add up.

I'm going to be a hypocrite and say "try to avoid using TTS-1" just for that reason alone, although I still tend to use it despite the risks.  Apparently if this is the first plugin inserted into your project, it tends to work correctly and the speculation is that under the hood there's some old 32 bit code that's wrapped in a 64 bit container that's not playing nice. I personally haven't had TTS-1 corrupt a project at all, but it's definitely made them crash more. Useable sounds, but use at your own risk, basically.

Great to know man. Well, since I really just use TTS-1 for one piano sound, I think it may be time for me to get a stand alone piano vst. Thanks a lot Tim!

• Like 1