Sign in to follow this  
Moxica

Project names /workflow question

I could never find a good habit of giving descriptive names to project where:
-I just wanted to record a chord progression/idea to develop.
-I tested a new synth, and like the result, and save it for later.
-Other various reasons.
I therefore have quite a few projects called "test" and other non-informative titles, because I trusted my memory to be more precise and vivid than it is.

Any of yous have a good practice in such cases?

I think we all suffer from that and until that initial idea/progression evolves into something more meaningful, it stays with the initial name. I generally use the name of a patch or preset when starting off.

• Like 1

I name such projects with the date they were started, sometimes appending the key, e.g. 8-14-2019 Am. If the test project is to explore a new soft synth, I'll name it accordingly, such as "Amadeus" or "Synthmaster".

That's usually enough of a memory jog to find them later.

It's also helpful to separate "real" projects from test projects in the file system. I create a lot of temporary projects for the articles I write, projects that may not even be songs, just tracks that demonstrate the features of a plugin or instrument, or to take screenshots from. Those live in a separate folder called \projects\tests, so that they don't clutter up my actual music projects. Another subfolder is called "Ideas", where I keep song ideas and chord progressions. 

• Like 2

Or you could just stack 'em up like cordwood.

Starting a new "unfinished song no. 456" is a lot more fun than actually finishing an old one.

• Haha 1

LOL!  My folders are filled with files starting with "WIP-" (which stood for "Work in progress").  Oh well...

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

I name such projects with the date they were started, sometimes appending the key, e.g. 8-14-2019 Am. If the test project is to explore a new soft synth, I'll name it accordingly, such as "Amadeus" or "Synthmaster".

That's how I've always done it.....I always reference the date and adhere to the same naming convention.

IE:...."Rock guitar chord progression_081419"......."Organ riff for new song_081419"

A good day to all....

Edited by chulaivet1966
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, synkrotron said:

I keep things "reasonably" simple.

All I know is everyone's definition of reasonable is not exactly the same. :P

Easy

Start Track...Name Track....Work To  Deadline ( i.e. 1 week )...Finish it...Move On To The Next

No folder full of ideas...just finished tracks