IK Multimedia FX Pick & Mix 2023 Group Buy

ralfrobert

12 hours ago, PavlovsCat said:

I just registered Mic Room, which I bought a couple of months ago for something like $9 USD and I now have two free plugins / effects I can choose from. I also just bought MixBox and will register that next.  This group has been really helpful and most of you know a lot more about mixing, mastering and guitar effects --and  really any kind of effects -- than I do, so I thought I would ask for opinions here and figured there are others who would also find the advice and insights from people who own and use the effects I'm considering valuable. 

I own Opto Compressor, Classic Compressor and more reverbs than I'll ever use, but, from this list, I only own the CSR Hall Reverb, so if anyone thinks there is one or more great reverbs on the  list worth checking out, please let me know. I regularly play Orange Tree Samples guitar and bass libraries and while I use the presets most of the time, I also have a blast using amp sims with the libraries. I own Guitar Rig, United Audio's Electrum and the free edition of Amplitube along with various additional amps and effects I've picked up and I realize there's a lot of debate over the best amp sim, and my opinion is that I like the sounds from Amplitude better than Guitar Rig, but I buy each new version of KOMPLETE, which includes Guitar Rig, so I don't want to spend money buying updating Amplitube too. If I had to pick my favorite real life amps, it would be Vox. But I love Fender, Marshall, Mega Boogie and other amps too. 

First, the group buy will probably go well above 2 so you probably will end up with most if not all on the list.

The Fulltone collection is great.  OCD is one of the better distortions available for Amplitube, the TERC is a classic chorus, and SSTE is what you'd expect.

Each of the X-Gear effects has a bunch of models associated with them.  Many are models that exist in other packages although with a few extended controls.  In the case of the X-Drive, a few of these existing models are better than the original ones.  The Delay and Reverb have a few unique models in them.

Most of the T-Racks here are the older models and not really ones I would normally reach for.

• Thanks 1

I own plenty of IK software and some hardware,  but I hadn't participated in an IK group buy before. This one seems to be off to a slow start.

For those who have been in past IK group buys, is being at around 100 participants at this point a bit slower than past IK group buys or is it  fairly similar to past IK group buys? I expected, because of IK's size and reach, they'd be at least at or past 1,000 participants by this point.  But maybe the past ones started slow too? 

Edited by PavlovsCat

You are right. One reason may be that freebies do no longer work. At least the new ones. And 100 bucks are 100 bucks in the end. I, for example, don't have any leftover cash for products that are non transferable in the end. Guess they have to adjust their model to keep it successful. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ralfrobert said:

You are right. One reason may be that freebies do no longer work. At least the new ones. And 100 bucks are 100 bucks in the end. I, for example, don't have any leftover cash for products that are non transferable in the end. Guess they have to adjust their model to keep it successful. 

And the effects plugin world has changed a lot in the past several years in terms of pricing and sales. My instincts also make me think that maybe IK has penetrated their target market pretty well and this offer may be less appealing to them than it was a year ago. Hopefully,  there's still enough capacity and growth in the market to make this a success (so I can get every possible the freebie!). But I'm just really surprised that a player as big as IK could be at only 104 sign-ups at this point where a small sample developer like Orange Tree Samples easily hits 1,000 in roughly the same time period.  I think if IK had more new products in the GB,  it would probably see much higher numbers. 

Anyhow,  hopefully this slow start doesn't mean the GB won't hit the highest levels.  Plus, I expect if the GB stalls too long, IK will add new incentives to get it moving like additional sales to motivate people to buy and join in. 

On 6/30/2023 at 12:28 PM, Technostica said:

They have since added this:

PLEASE NOTE THIS PRODUCT IS EXCLUDED FROM THE IK GROUP BUY PROMOTION.

Poor Technostica. He gets four thumbs down for being the bearer of bad news. I know that people are thumbs downing the news itself but do not thumbs down reflect on a person's community reputation? 

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:17 AM, ralfrobert said:

The CSR stuff is quite good.

Excellent sounding verbs.

On 7/1/2023 at 8:56 AM, ralfrobert said:

Algorithms don't really age. :)

No they don't.

When the CSR were released they were very good quality reverb for a decent price. And not bad on the CPU of the time. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grem said:

Excellent sounding verbs.

No they don't.

When the CSR were released they were very good quality reverb for a decent price. And not bad on the CPU of the time. 

Yeah, IK have a good thing going when it comes to reverbs. The Sunset Sound pack is up there with the best, and the CSRs still hold up pretty well. I need to get around to actually trying out FAME and Stone room properly!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

Yeah, IK have a good thing going when it comes to reverbs. The Sunset Sound pack is up there with the best, and the CSRs still hold up pretty well. I need to get around to actually trying out FAME and Stone room properly!

Yes, I agree. They have always done very good with the verbs they release.

I need to work with Fame. Have not even tried it. Haven't gotten Stone yet.