Pale Blue Dot - Video

bjornpdx

I posted this a while ago. I made quite a few changes then turned it into an audio track for a space video.
The video is a bunch of NASA images and some free video clips from pixabay.com.

Omnisphere
Z3TA
Arturia Modular V3 (great synth for space music)
Zebra
Diva

Thanks for listening.

• Like 1

Very nice!  I have a question...since I'm not a rocket scientist!
How do they transmit "images" and "information" back to Earth from 4 billion
miles away through the "vacuum" of space?  This has always
puzzled me.  You obviously can't use "Radio Waves" because
they require "air", or any other "standard technology",
so what technology do they use that allows
them to send and receive "messages" over the vast distances
of space?  The ONLY thing I can think of that could possibly
do this is "digital transmission" using high powered lasers, but, what do I know?
As I stated "I'm not a rocket scientist" 😜

• Like 1

Joad
Thanks for listening. You can always enjoy the space music induced flashbacks.

Kakku
Thanks

amiller
Glad you mentioned the transition. I worked on that a lot and it's still not quite there yet imo.

Larry
Thanks.  You can indeed send electromagnetic waves through the vacuum of space. Local examples would be GPS satellites and Sirius XM radio signals. Ones and zeros sent in patterns at the speed of light and then decoded at the user's end. This stuff just boggles my mind and yet I take it all for granted.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Larry
Thanks.  You can indeed send electromagnetic waves through the vacuum of space. Local examples would be GPS satellites and Sirius XM radio signals. Ones and zeros sent in patterns at the speed of light and then decoded at the user's end. This stuff just boggles my mind and yet I take it all for granted.

Those things are still "atmospheric" Bjorn...they don't exist "in space" per se, as they still reside within the confines of our own atmosphere in orbit.  Once you've crossed out of our atmosphere (passing the Exosphere) there is "nothing" to move the transmissions.  That was my point.  You simply can't send "transmissions" that rely on anything (ANY kind of "wave") through space, even digitally, other than by light, which doesn't require anything to move it!

• Like 1

bjorn, I have seen that first pic before, the blue dot.  We can thank Carl Sagan for that, as you probably know he insisted that once explorer was on trajectory out of the solar system that NASA should turn the cameras around and take a picture of earth.   When I learned that, and saw the picture, it altered me in the sense that my veer even sharper on my course.  

and doltishly we continue to kill each other over ideological stances, all for a crust of bread, and a seat at the bottom of the totem pole because those unclean folks you know

Great music my friend, very hypnotic, you should take this to the local planetarium and offer them to play it during their shows.

• Like 1

Larry, GPS satellites are about 12,500 miles above the earth and Sirius XM satellites about 22,000 miles.  There's no atmosphere up there.
Amateur radio operators routinely bounce radio waves off the moon in a technique called EME (earth-moon-earth). It's not easy but they do it.
The Hubble telescope is about 340 miles above the earth. It's there because the images are much clearer above the atmosphere.
I'm citing those things as real world examples of radio communications through a vacuum.

If light can move through the depths of space then radio waves can too since they're both forms of electromagnetism. Same speed but different frequencies. And radio waves can be modulated to send information so that's how that image from Voyager 1 came into being.

I'm no rocket scientist either but smarter people than me have made these discoveries and I have no reason to disbelieve them.

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn ,

I enjoyed watching and listening to your video immensely . You really know how to set up a real nice visual theme and then marry it to Music .

I have seen a few of your videos over time and I like this one the best. I wish I knew how to do videos w music on this level of creativity and quality  ..

all the best ,

Kenny

PS that was a cool transition at 3:27 on....nice one

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, amiller said:

Very cool transition @325 as well as outro

2 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

a cool transition at 3:27

Agreed.

Loved the video. Love space tech. While I was listening and watching I was thinking that it could be the music on one of the shows on the Science Channel. And then Jesse says take it to the local planetarium and I agree!!

@cclarryWhen I learned about a 'vacuum' it was  taught as 'nothing' in space. Which they now know is incorrect. There is a vacuum in space, but there is also a lot of other things out there along with the vacuum.

• Like 2

I found this, which pretty well explained it...so I am now further eductated:

Electromagnetic waves differ from mechanical waves in that they do not require a medium to propagate. This means that electromagnetic waves can travel not only through air and solid materials, but also through the vacuum of space. ... This proved that radio waves were a form of light!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absoflippinlutely wonderful, Bjorn!  You not only have become an accomplished musician/composer but you have become a video artist as well.  This really is an excellent marriage of sounds/music and video.  Each compliments each other perfectly.  You really have been posting some great music-videos.

Excellent work my friend!

• Like 1

Jesse
Thanks for the comment. Always amazing how advanced our science is and yet our basic human nature remains the same.

Kenny
Thanks. There's a lot of free video stock out there which I used for the 1st time in this project. Really would like to create my own -  flying asteroids and swirly colors and such - but the software to do those effects are kinda $$$.

Grem
One of the radio stations in town used to play a space music program late at night which was called Hearts of Space. I think they're still around. Hmmm maybe they take submissions..

Larry
This thread turned into Physics 101 but I'm glad it did b/c it made me go back and make sure I didn't have the wrong concept all these years.

Freddy
Thanks again!

Paul
Thank you!

Douglas
Yep, Carl Sagan was one of my heroes back then.  Still is I guess.