How do I remove unwanted distortion from an audio track?

EDT

Hi, I have a track I am finishing off and the main instrument within it is my old Yamaha CP-30 which I recorded into an audio track however I recorded it a bit too "hot" and there are a few notes, not many - maybe 10 or 12- which are slightly distorted and I was wondering if there is anything in Cakewalk which I can use to edit them out without actually deleting the audio.

I would probably try and record it again, but I have since sold the CP-30.

The fact that you're concerned about this issue indicates you don't want to release your work with this amount of distortion on the CP-30. Nothing suggested so far in the thread will actually eliminate the distortion. I'd say it's time to fire up whatever synth you still have, play the part again, and consider this a lesson for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the tips. I will have a look at the various plug ins (I had forgotten about Audacity!!)

I'm reluctant to re-record as the original sound of the CP-30 i had going through a phaser effect sounds dreamy 🙂. But as you say I might have to bite the bullet and re-do with a midi piano plus effects.

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 2:42 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

You can remove short spots of digital and analog clipping.

What you can't do is take a constantly/heavily saturated recording (like distorted guitar) and remove it.

Samplitude Pro X Suite comes with declipping capabilities.

There's also Izotope Rx.

That's what I need Jim, thanks for the constructive response.

RX 7 can remove clipping. It may also be done with Spectral Layers 6 from Steinberg. As mentioned Samplitude Pro X4 also can.  

True one can not unbake a cake. However, we are not talking about baking. Sound has a frequency(s) with all its overtones. These can be isolated and edited.  

Who thought we could adjust the note pitch with ease via Melodyne of recorded sound. Anyone heard of autotune?