vst scan runtime error

I have no idea what "C:\trigger_2_r112_win" contains.

Slate Trigger 2 is a drums sample enhancement/ replacement tool. It uses a fair amount of CPU IIRC.

I don't see any reason it shouldn't be consolidated with the others.

Edited by jonathan boose

1 hour ago, scook said:

Uncheck the Re-scan options

Also you should be running the scanner from preferences not from the Plug-in Manager.

I unchecked the re-scan options. I tried scanning from preferences but it doesn't scan, it just creates multiple runtime errors and multiple logs. When I look at the logs, there are thousands of items that maybe a software engineer could understand.

Edited by jonathan boose

I am sorry this

4 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

I tried scanning from preferences but it doesn't scan, it just creates logs.

makes no sense. The logs are created by the vstscan.exe while performing a scan. The log details all the plug-ins the scanner tried to load and the results of the load. If the scanner ran to completion, it will indicate the results of the scan at the end of the log.

59 minutes ago, scook said:

I am sorry this

makes no sense. The logs are created by the vstscan.exe while performing a scan. The log details all the plug-ins the scanner tried to load and the results of the load. If the scanner ran to completion, it will indicate the results of the scan at the end of the log.

That is correct. I made an erroneous assumption.  I had eliminated all scan paths except for C\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins

There were only 17 plugins in that folder. Since it took a tiny fraction of a second to scan the plugins I didn't think it scanned. I'm used to it taking a minute, or a quarter of an hour, or never, for a scan to complete.

I guess that if this has any relation to old fashioned t-shooting I should scan theses folders separately to zero in on the culprit?

The problem was caused by having "C:\Program Files" in the scan path. That makes the scanner go through everything  in "C:\Program Files" loading every dll it finds.

Set the scan path in preferences to look just like it does in the help with the addition of "C:\trigger_2_r112_win" if that contains a plug-in dll. Then run a scan.

13 hours ago, scook said:

The problem was caused by having "C:\Program Files" in the scan path. That makes the scanner go through everything  in "C:\Program Files" loading every dll it finds.

Set the scan path in preferences to look just like it does in the help with the addition of "C:\trigger_2_r112_win" if that contains a plug-in dll. Then run a scan.

In the example from that help link, it shows 2 file paths, both of which start with c:\program files

vst.jpg

Edited by jonathan boose

What's the purpose of scanning in a "sandbox"?

I hat to look that up.  Seems to mean:

A sandbox is a type of software testing environment that enables the isolated execution of software or programs for independent evaluation, monitoring or testing. In an implementation, a sandbox also may be known as a test server, development server or working directory

That is correct. These are the default entries that point to specific folders under C:\Program Files.

C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins is the default path setup in CbB for VST2 plug-ins

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 is the path defined in the VST3 specification for 64bit VST3 plug-ins.

The problem in this image

scan paths.jpg

is "C:\Program Files." This causes the scanner to dive down through every folder under this path trying to load every dll it finds. Most of the files are not VST2 or VST3 plug-ins and will cause all kinds of problems for the scanner. Aside from causing the scanner to load VST2/3 plug-in related files, it causes the scanner to scan all other folders in the scan path that are under "C:\Program Files" multiple times. This too can cause problems.

If you want to get CbB usable again, start by changing the VST settings back to the default values in preferences.

• Like 1

In addition to the default Cakewalk ones, the most common directories vst plugins are found in:

C:\Program Files\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins

32 Bit plugins are likely to be found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins

You may need to search around if there's ones missing, but these should catch 99% of all your plugins.

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

In addition to the default Cakewalk ones, the most common directories vst plugins are found in:

C:\Program Files\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins

32 Bit plugins are likely to be found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins

You may need to search around if there's ones missing, but these should catch 99% of all your plugins.

I don't have a Steinberg folder. I thought Steinberg was mostly Cubase? And I can probably live without 32 bit plugins. But so far only the Sonitus ones are showing up.

25 minutes ago, jonathan boose said:

I did that. Sonitus plugins are showing up but none of the aftermarket plugins.

The Sonitus plug-ins are DX format and have nothing to do with the VST scanner.

The PC modules should be available. These do get scanned.

All 64bit VST3 install by default into C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3. They should be there.

It is up to you to know where 3rd party VST2 plug-ins installed. A few possibilities have been mentioned above. By default, Cakewalk installs the few VST plug-ins bundled with it into C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins

What does the scan log show now?

If the log indicates the scanner is running to completion. It may be a good idea to run a Reset, the button next to the scan button in preferences. This will clear out the VST inventory in the registry and rebuild it from scratch. May want to create a log for the reset.

After a successful reset, Waves support should be able to help get those plug-ins back.

The reason the Waves plugins don't show up might be because I can't put them in the scan path because I can't download my licenses from the cloud, possibly due to absurdly slow DSL download speed.

2 mbps? You gotta be yanking my chain.

Waves has these licenses download with 32 processes in parallel. I can't even go online to a forum like this one because the downloads are maxing out the modem. This goes on for a few hours, then it chokes and stops, waves t-shooting link appears, I click on it and get the usual instructions. I'll probably have to call Waves in the morning about that.

Which leaves the other stuff I can't find:

MJUC

Soundtoys

Sound Radix

Nomad Factory

as well as  Garritan soft synths, a couple of other things.

58 minutes ago, scook said:

If the log indicates the scanner is running to completion. It may be a good idea to run a Reset, the button next to the scan button in preferences. This will clear out the VST inventory in the registry and rebuild it from scratch. May want to create a log for the reset.

After a successful reset, Waves support should be able to help get those plug-ins back.

I don't know where to look on the log to tell whether it's running to completion. It's about a half mile long. "1280 DLLs found"

The date/ time stamp doesn't seem to jibe...

LogFile: C:\Users\jon\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Logs\VstScan.log
Thursday, 25 Jul 2019, 00:28:55
Opened Log File -----------------------------
Command line: /VSTRegPerUser/VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"/Background/SONARHWND:329290
Flag: VSTRegPerUser
Flag: VSTRegKey:"Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64"
Flag: Background
Flag: SONARHWND:329290
-------- VST scan path's --------
c:\program files\cakewalk\shared utilities\internal
c:\program files
c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
c:\program files\common files\vst3
c:\trigger_2_r112_win

Edited by jonathan boose