Patch Assignment Doesn't Work

Guy Allen

This morning I was working on a track and all of the sudden, Sonar will not play the desired patch on either of my REAL sythenesizers. It has worked for years but now all it does is play the first patch of the selected bank. Nothing else has changed (that I am aware of.).

I am no newbie as I have been using Cakewalk since 1988 (DOS days), and patch changing (or choosing) has always worked. It still works on my Cakewalk versions of Sonar (pre-bandlab).

Any ideas?

I’m thinking maybe midi channel assignment needs to be specific? Do the tracks have a specific midi channel assigned?

...also thinking, there are patch change enabkes in most instruments. Maybe it got accidentally changed?

Edited by Keni

I think you may have missed that I have beeen using these type of products since 1988, the midi channel makes no difference at all. If I set a track to midi channel 5 and set the patch to patch 22 of bank 5, it will play patch 1. It will not change even while the midi file is playing. The patch will change if I change the bank, but again only patch1 one of that bank. It WORKS with the same file on Sonar X3 Studio, but alas I need the new DAW effects for this project. 

I do all the setting for the track in the track settings. Nothing ever changes during the song (besides notes and stuff, not the actual instrument or MIDI channel).

I have reinstalled Sonar twice today, and wiped out all the settings files. I am at my wits end on this. (I am also a software engineer so this seems like a very strange bug to me, first time it's happened to me in all of my 25+ years working on a Cakewalk based DAW.

Here are my machine specs, I'm pretty sure they are sufficient.

capabilities.jpg

Edited by Guy Allen

For the past several years I have been doing more and more with software synths and I've seen problems with those (non-responsive to program changes), but I seem to recall all my sound modules switched without incident when I last used my hardware synth module stack. I am curious now.  I have one sound module currently connected to my Audio PC and will give it a try.

Did a quick test: usb keyboard to CbB to 2x2 midi interface to Sound Module.  Incoming MIDI data led lights up with note data and program change data.  Realtime notes play, but realtime program changes don't change presets.

I verified that  "Receive Program Change" for all channels = on.

AHA!!!! MIDI Driver Mode has been switched to UWP.  I always use MME.  Will switch that back and retest.  BINGO!!!!!!!!  Program Change commands now work.  

To switch MIDI Drive Mode (in case you want to try it), close your project (otherwise the UWP/MME box is greyed out.

[P]references (Advanced) > MIDI > Playback and Recording > Driver Mode.

IIRC there are a few other things that can syphon off / filter out midi commands.  I have legacy gear, so MME has consistently worked better for me than UWP.

Different people have success with different modes.  If you search the forum for UWP, you can see what others say (UWP v. MME).

Edited by User 905133
To report the solution that works for me on my legacy gear, just in case it helps.
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Guy Allen said:

Now how in the world did I change that? 

Glad to hear it worked for you!!

I have two guesses as to how it could have changed: (1) Windows update or (2) CbB update. 

Just found this: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsdeveloper/2016/09/21/midi-enhancements-in-windows-10/

I won't pretend to understand it, but from my naïve perspective, I have a third guess (3) hardware or software might trigger something that says to WIndows, "use UWP."  I will defer to explanations from others who know more about that stuff.  

Edited by User 905133