How is Cakewalk by Bandlab going to be monetized?

Feral State Sound

Question

I wonder if the "Give What You Want Model" will last forever... Will there be payment addons through Bandlab Assistant while the core program remains as a free host? Not much info has been published on this topic and in few months is going to be a year since the first CBB release.

Thank you.

Edited by Alex H.

2 answers to this question

The question makes a false assumption. Each product in a company's line of business does not have to be monetized. However, the question of CbB's price in the future was asked and answered on several occasions around the time BandLab's purchase of Cakewalk IP.

Here is an example from http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3745236 when asked about the cost of future updates and versions of CbB, Meng wrote

Platform and future product updates will continue to be free, just like BandLab - innovation must push forward!

But don't expect Rapture Pro for example to be free when it is re-released 🙂 (except for those that have bought it before in some way or form and have already created a BandLab account)

Since the initial release BandLab not only updated the software but added licenses for POW-R dither and zplane élastique Pro V3 free of charge to CbB users.

other than the obvious paid add-ons, from what i read on the other forum, and the couple of news articles, it seems like there are 2 types of users to bandlab - content creators (us) and content consumers - and they expect to make the money via the content consumers - how exactly wasn't made clear, but i'd imagine it's some kind of streaming subscription service, or inline ads... same as youtube, soundcloud, etc

/total-speculation