I have just about had it!

Timothy Connelly

I have been using cakewalk products since Windows 3.1. I have always loved it ,but just recently (last couple of months) I have been experiencing fatal exception messages, random projects not opening, etc. It just grinds my gears, because these were good projects that I have already exported trial mixes of, I just want to make some minor tweaks. It also makes me skittish about recording new content, for fear that it might disappear into the black hole of "projects that open occasionally, but throw a pinch of salt over your shoulder first". I am very religious about making sure my system is clean and efficient, and like I said, this is a recent development. Windows 10, 16G RAM, processor i7, Cakewalk and OS sit on a 1 TB SSD, audio is on separate 1TB HDD(7200 rpm). Anyone else out there? I just have a suspicion that "free Cakewalk" is being neglected, and I would have jumped ship already, but I am so used to the workflow in this environment.

Cakewalk is working fine for me. I've sporadically had problems, which I've fixed with lots of help from this and other forums; but none of my problems since CbB have been caused by CbB. I suspect that you'll be better off finding the problems and fixing them.

Bill 

1 hour ago, willard cottrell said:

The only major problem I have had w/ CWB was a windows crash.  Since then working great.  

With the onset of both 32 and 64 bit plug-ins, I wonder if it is worth some comments about keeping both sets and/or eliminating 32 bit if possible?

I only ever use 64 bit, 64bit OS, 64 bit DAW, 64 bit plugins and instruments, I've always done that. Stable as a rock here. I don't know, but suspect that using 32 bit plugins through the bridge does not add to stability of the DAW. I've seen many instances where people complain of crashes and it's traced back to using some 32 bit plugin in a 64 bit DAW, 32 bit plugins can also be really old, using very early versions of VST.  Mixcraft was the same. I think I've posted about this at least 30 times on different DAW sites, following crashing being tracked back to this. This may or may not be the cause here though.

Cakewalk should go 64 bit native in my view.  It would probably cut down on the crash reports here on the forum. Burn the bridge!

You do know that Cakewalk is supported software, as in if you have a consistent issue you can open a support ticket with BandLab and someone will try to help you with it?

As Lady Fuzztail alluded to, you should focus on one particular issue at a time, such as a project that crashes on trying to open it, take note of the steps that lead to the crash, what type, audio, MIDI, what plug-ins, etc.

Without that information, all we can do is guess at things like drivers and incompatible plug-ins, because of course Cakewalk isn't crashing for the rest of us.

• Like 1

AppCrashView is a small utility for Windows that displays the details of all application crashes that occurred in your system. The crash information is extracted from the .wer files created by the Windows Error Reporting (WER) component of the operating system every time that a crash  occurred.

100% free! https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

In many cases that the crash was caused by a specific plugin, I have seen the plugin name in the "Fault Module Name". I frequently see  this associated with Exception Code Value=c0000005.

Exception code c0000005 is the code for an access violation. That means that your program (or plugin) is accessing (either reading or writing) a memory address to which it does not have rights.

So either stop using the offending plugin, or send support requests and crash dumps to the devs so that they can debug the crashes. It's not going to magically fix itself.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1