DAW Users Hall of Shame

kitekrazy

10 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

Kjaerhus Audio

Are they the ones that had that fantastic "Vintage 64"?

Yes that's them. A little research and I found a lot of links to old forum posts from the old forum.

It was Vintage Channel 64.

That was a great plugin. Sounded excellent. Low CPU hit. Two comps with EQ. Great plugin.  It never went to 64bit. 

Edited by Grem

On 1/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, Magic Russ said:

I think most DAWs have had Hall of Shame moments

Logic for abandoning its PC users.

Cakewalk for the way the add on components around the time of X2 made things less stable.

Ableton for looking ugly as anything.

Bitwig for offering WASAPI support for output but not input.  Also both of them for not being able to audition midi to a track.  Project 5 could do that and it's been out of development for 15 or 17 years already.

Cubase had people calling their parent company Steinbug, so I'm sure there's something there.

Frooty Loops offering lifetime upgrades and then changing the name of the product and everyone having to upgrade to the new version.

Mixcraft for bundling software from an infamous *****.

I guess that just leaves Reaper and Studio One as not having Hall of Shame moments.

That's the reason I like Live.  It has that 8bit appeal or that colorform (who remembers that?)  look. 

I never that issue with FL.  I had a license before I upgraded to the full version in 2007.   No one else has made that claim.

Reapers shame was lack of documentation when it came out.  It would've taken over by storm before now.  I had a lcense when it was audio only.

On 1/28/2023 at 11:15 AM, kitekrazy said:

Reapers shame was lack of documentation when it came out.

Wasn't the first manual that came out the product of one (or more) users?

I remember going over the thing desperately searching for what I needed to do to start it recording audio.

IIRC, you have to create a clip before you start recording, which is so unlike any other DAW I've used it never occurred to me. Every other one creates clips after you've recorded the audio.

My usability benchmark when I was DAW shopping back in 2014 was to see how long it took to record some audio, then delete a section of it. Seems pretty straightforward, but IIRC, it took me at least 45 minutes to accomplish that small task in REAPER. Might have been even longer. By the time I finally figured it out, I wasn't too keen on trying to go further with it.

Mixcraft, on the other hand, took about a minute or two. Given its bargain price, it was clearly the way to go, so I went with a copy of Mixcraft Home Studio and upgraded it. That copy of Mixcraft Home Studio was the last piece of boxed software I ever bought.