No sound recorded when using "Drum Pro"

Jaden

Hey everyone, I'm new to cakewalk and I've had some success using the standard cakewalk plugins and other plugins like massive, however when I try to use the free drums called "Drum Pro" I can never get any sound to actually record. The input registers on cakewalk (it can hear it) and I can hear the drums through my speakers, but when I go into record mode, nothing gets laid down. I've tried everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, Jaden said:

Hey everyone, I'm new to cakewalk and I've had some success using the standard cakewalk plugins and other plugins like massive, however when I try to use the free drums called "Drum Pro" I can never get any sound to actually record. The input registers on cakewalk (it can hear it) and I can hear the drums through my speakers, but when I go into record mode, nothing gets laid down. I've tried everything I can think of. Any thoughts?

What are you using to trigger the drums? By any chance, are you trying to record from Drum Pro's UI Pads with a mouse?  If so, try using a midi keyboard or one of Cakewalk's built-in virtual controllers.  

Are you able to record midi notes and have them played back?

I just tested Drum Pro and was able to record midi notes into an Instrument Track using both a midi keyboard and a Virtual Controller.

Edited by User 905133
edits

Thank you for the suggestion of trying the virtual controller! After "using" that, my Akai MPK Mini mkIII magically started working with the drums too. So no more problems.

However, I notice that most of the sounds on the Drum Pro plugin make ugly crackling clipping-like noises half the time you fire themThank you for the suggestion of trying the virtual controller! After "using" that, my Akai MPK Mini mkIII magically started working with the drums too. So no more problems.

However, I notice that most of the sounds on the Drum Pro plugin make ugly crackling clipping-like noises half the time you fire them. I've tried lowering the volume on Drum Pro with no luck, also lowering the "gain" on the midi input section of cakewalk with no luck. No matter what volume or parameter, they stick "crackle" when I fire them. Has anyone noticed this?

Thank you

Update: I notice that sometimes I'm able to record using Drum Pro plugin without too many "crackle" sounds, but when I opened up cakewalk this morning the distortion is so bad I can't hit a single note with Drum Pro cleanly. I never change anything. I just don't get it. Any thoughts?

That's great, glad it's working out for you... Not sure of your exact setup but one thing to keep in mind is that with Wasapi Shared you will experience higher Latency than what you can achieve with Asio drivers...

Very probable that the "crackle" sounds that you were experiencing were from buffer overflows with your Asio driver... A buffer size to small will cause this... With Asio, in general, the smaller the buffer the less the Latency...

If Wasapi Shared is working out for you and the latency is not a problem, great... You can always try your Asio driver and adjust the buffer size and see if you can get better latency results...

When I am recording with live inputs I set my Asio for very low latency... If I'm mixing a project I will set my buffer sizes to the maximum, high latency...