Jump to content
  • 0
g5fighter

Cakewalk running slow in a powerful computer

Question

Hi, I had an old computer and I installed Cakewalk. I liked it very much, and when I bought the new one that was more powerful (Asus Rog Strix Scar II), I decided to install it as well. But it goes a lot slower than the old one. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Open task manager.  Click on the processes tab.  Find the CPU column header and move the header so you can see it.

The CPU column details how much cpu power each process is consuming.  Some background process is likely using the cpu too much.Clipboard01.jpg.41227596b51417cca87ceae884cad2ea.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Turn core parking off.  Go to advanced power settings and set CPU min and max to 100%. 

Install all windows 10 and driver updates.  With drivers, go to the manufacturer's websites rather than letting Windows do it.  Also, tell Windows updates to leave drivers alone.

Check which programs start when you start the PC (and therefore running in the background.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hello and thanks to the creator of the post, am having the same problem in 2 new computers only bought for create music, they are just new 2 very powerfull computers with just 1 program, and its called Cakewalk by Bandlab, and i have the same probleman in 2 computers, i have an old one wich loads normally, but in two absolutely more powerfull machines with all the drivers updates, and etc, is freezing and getting slow, as much tracks i start to add to a project, it inmediatly starts to freeze, we appreciate a cool answer.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Better to start your own thread with more information.

Include details about the hardware (both PC spec and audio interface make) and OS. Also include project information such as sample rate, audio/MIDI track count, plug-ins used.

Even the most powerful PC can be brought to a halt if not setup correctly or asked to do too much in real time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

What do people mean by Cakewalk is "running slowly?" I assume this is some issue about the reaction of the user interface with a slow response to commands, rather than an issue with dropouts. The latter would not be noticeable to the user except as corruption/distortion of the audio. A more precise description of the issue might help. What is showing in the performance tab of Windows task manager and in the processes tab when sorted for memory or CPU usage?  You can also do a quick review of what is running at startup, as Promidi suggests, under the startup tab.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, slartabartfast said:

What do people mean by Cakewalk is "running slowly?" I assume this is some issue about the reaction of the user interface with a slow response to commands, rather than an issue with dropouts. The latter would not be noticeable to the user except as corruption/distortion of the audio. A more precise description of the issue might help. What is showing in the performance tab of Windows task manager and in the processes tab when sorted for memory or CPU usage?  You can also do a quick review of what is running at startup, as Promidi suggests, under the startup tab.

Memory Ram usage 27%, Procesor 33%, Disk 15%, when i turn on all canals and switch on all tracks, Stats are the same, but as you say, when u press the space bar key to reproduce the file, he starts with a distort sound, then continues normally, then ends distort sound again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

This is not very helpful without knowing about the hardware specs, OS and project info.

It may be audio driver buffers are set too low. Knowing more about the audio interface and it's settings might help. But it could be something else. The more information the better. Resource utilization percentages do not mean much by themselves.

Again this probably  has nothing to do with the OP and should be in a separate thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I am having the same problem. When I open up a blank track, it runs fine, but once I add an instrument or plugin it takes like five seconds to respond to everything I do. My mouse is also constantly loading, even if I wait a very long time. Any more troubleshooting tips? And it is possible that I downloaded it wrong. Any tips on how to "include details about the hardware" would be very helpful. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 5/29/2020 at 12:31 PM, Murray Lane said:

Any tips on how to "include details about the hardware" would be very helpful

What CPU running at what frequency, how much RAM, what model of video card, what type (SSD, 7200RPM or 5200RPM) and size of hard drive(s), what audio interface (running in what driver mode, ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive or Shared, MME). Without that information, it's very difficult to help troubleshoot.

Also what operating system. For an example, look in my sig.

If you're not sure yourself about any of this, my favorite tool for gathering information about a system is HWINFO64. Google it if you need it.

To say you went from a "slow computer" to a "fast computer" means nothing when we don't know what it is about the hardware that makes it "slow" and "fast."

Information about whether your projects are mostly audio or MIDI/virtual instruments is also helpful.

Time after time I see people asking for help, and people in return asking for information about their systems and not getting any answer. I don't understand why people are so coy about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Okay im having the same issue, 

i have 16 gig ram, intel core i7-8750H cpu @ 2.2GHz its a 64 bit system 

okay so... everytime i load up the app its slow and by that i mean the mouse is always loading and just takes a while for things to happen after i click them, it says i have a audio issue also that might be it but i don't know how to fix it or how to change the input and outputs for the audio. my pc is only a year old and its definitely the app it takes up 5% of the cpu im not sure if that's a lot. 

thank you in advance also ❤️

iv also just installed it and haven't used it before 

Edited by Sol'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 minutes ago, Sol' said:

Okay im having the same issue, 

i have 16 gig ram, intel core i7-8750H cpu @ 2.2GHz its a 64 bit system 

okay so... everytime i load up the app its slow and by that i mean the mouse is always loading and just takes a while for things to happen after i click them, it says i have a audio issue also that might be it but i don't know how to fix it or how to change the input and outputs for the audio. my pc is only a year old and its definitely the app it takes up 5% of the cpu im not sure if that's a lot. 

thank you in advance also ❤️

iv also just installed it and haven't used it before 

You might want to start a new thread. 

When you do, can you give us a bit of info regarding your audio interface and what you have tried so far.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Same issue here. Been running SONAR/Cakewalk since 2002. Current specs:

CPU: i7-8700

RAM: 32 GB 2400 Mhz

4 TB SSD (OS, Sample libraries x 2, Audio ...)

AI: RME UCX

 

Everything off. Remember back in the day where we talked about optimizing Windows by prio background tasks, turning off indexing etc. None of that is useful.

Obviously offline and no other processes running. Project is merely some 60 tracks, and CPU on 5-10 %, RAM on 25 % tops. Looking at going Reaper again since I have deadlines to attend to.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

When I first started using Cakewalk by Bandlab (over using SONAR previously), I noticed some strange behavior where, working on one project and the ui was very responsive while on another or a different time, the UI was laggy. i then found that Cakewalk had an option to limit/minimise UI updates. From memory, its the 'pause/break' key that is the hotkey to switch between the two modes. Oh, and my PC is more than powerful enough to handle cakewalk, which is what only added to the confusion.

Have you checked this? or is this what you are talking about? a laggy UI?

 

OK, searched the doc for my own confirmation. Its called "CPU Conservation Mode"

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.34.html

Edited by JohnK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, JohnK said:

When I first started using Cakewalk by Bandlab (over using SONAR previously), I noticed some strange behavior where, working on one project and the ui was very responsive while on another or a different time, the UI was laggy. i then found that Cakewalk had an option to limit/minimise UI updates. From memory, its the 'pause/break' key that is the hotkey to switch between the two modes. Oh, and my PC is more than powerful enough to handle cakewalk, which is what only added to the confusion.

Have you checked this? or is this what you are talking about? a laggy UI?

 

OK, searched the doc for my own confirmation. Its called "CPU Conservation Mode"

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Troubleshooting.34.html

 

The "Now" time isn't the issue for me. Pause/break I discovered many years ago for this purpose. This regards every action taken within a specific projects. Mouse moving slow, windows not opening, solo/mute buttons not responding for several seconds etc. Thinking it might be ghost automation causing it, but that also seem ridiculous. It's 2020 ffs.

GPU is a NVIDIA 1050i btw. 4 GB or so. Should be enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

In addition to providing system specs and audio hardware in use,  I would also list any and all of the plugins used in the project, because sometimes they can cause this behavior.

And preferably start a new thread, because it may seem like you may have the same problem, but there can be many different causes of "slow" in a DAW, and it is difficult to troubleshoot all of them in a single thread. Jumping in with a "me too" post on the tail end of an existing thread is not the best way to get help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Rick Lang said:

The "Now" time isn't the issue for me. Pause/break I discovered many years ago for this purpose. This regards every action taken within a specific projects. Mouse moving slow, windows not opening, solo/mute buttons not responding for several seconds etc. Thinking it might be ghost automation causing it, but that also seem ridiculous. It's 2020 ffs.

GPU is a NVIDIA 1050i btw. 4 GB or so. Should be enough.

To be clear, when I had/saw the issue, it wasn't my now time that I noticed the issue with either. It was basically the whole GUI. Most notably, the meters were being updated very intermittently, and my mouse interaction/responsiveness with the GUI was really very poor. It generally appeared like the PC was extremely overloaded.

I would be interested if anyone knows of any on-screen indication when this mode is on? Apart from the poor performance.

On a side, although my PC is decent (4,4GHz quad core [a safe overclock], hyperthreaded, with 24GB RAM), my video card is really very poor:$. I use the onboard graphics card, that came with the motherboard, that I think is >5 years old now. Its an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, I'm not a "gamer", so it has done the job for me thus far. I just checked the driver, and that's at mid 2015, which would of been released well after the motherboard, as an update, not originally with the motherboard. i.e.. you would be hard pressed to get a poorer video card than me.

Edited by JohnK
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Is your virus checker, assuming you have one, set to check on disk reads and writes?  That could bog down a program like cakewalk.

Edited by RobertWS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, JohnK said:

 my video card is really very poor:$. I use the onboard graphics card, that came with the motherboard, that I think is >5 years old now. Its an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000,

Is there any way you can see about getting an Nvida or an AMD dedicated graphics card (does not have to be the latest - I just use a GTX960). 

That will offload some of the graphic processing to the card (windows itself does this). 

While I know Cakewalk itself does not utilise the GPU, some plugins do for some of their display information.  I know Meldaproduction plugins can.

See if you can borrow a GPU

Edited by Promidi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...