How Do I Route Midid Date

JamPro

Hello.  I am running Cakewalk by BandLab (CWBBL) under Win 10 64-bits.

I have a sequencer running on Track 1 and I want the midi data generated by the sequencer to drive a soft synth running on Track 2.  How do I do this?

Specifically, I have Jamstix 3 hosted on Track 1.  Jamstix 3 generates midi data which I hope to control an instance of EZ Drummer 2 I have hosted on Track 2.  How do I route the midi output of Jamstix 3 on Track 1 to  EZ Drummer 2 on Track 2?

Thanks.

Assign the Input of the EZD track to the virtual MIDI Out presented by Jamstix. If you don’t see one, you might need to enable MIDI Out in properties of Jamstix. You will also likely need to split the EZD Instrument track and assign the MIDI Output to an appropriately configured Drum Map to translate the note numbers and output to EZD. Also it sounds a bit like you might have the VSTis inserted in FX bins rather than in the Synth Rack which is not ideal.

Edited by David Baay

Hello.  Thank you D Baay for your informative answer.  So right now, both Jamstix 3 (JS) and EZ Drummer 2 (EZD) appear in the Synth Rack.  I have Enable Midi Output checked in the JS Options page.  Additionally Enable Midi Output is enabled (checked) when I R-click the JS name in the Synth Rack.

The EZD plug-in is loaded onto a Audio Track (which makes sense - EZD produces audio I want to hear).  The available Inputs on the EZD track are a) None; b) input 1-16 of my audio interface; c) Selected Track Input Series....; d) Select Track Inputs....; e) New Patch Point.  Those are all of the input options available for the track hosting EZD.

I do not see a virtual MIDI Out presented by Jamstix.

I am running CWBBL ver. 2021.12 (build 102, 64-bit)

So I still cannot figure out how to send midi data from JS to EZD.  Any help is appreciated.

1 hour ago, JamPro said:

The EZD plug-in is loaded onto a Audio Track (which makes sense - EZD produces audio I want to hear).

As a rule. only synths that effect audio should be loaded into an audio FX rack (ex. Vocoders). Any other synths should NOT be placed in an audio FX rack.

In this case neither Jamstix nor EZD should be placed in an audio FX rack. Use audio+MIDI track pairs or instrument tracks for the synths.

I do not have JS3 installed anymore but IIRC, in addition to selecting "Enable MIDI Output" in the VST2 drop down in the VST standard header above the Jamstix UI, the mixer section in Jamstix needs to be setup to send MIDI data. Jamstix has its own way to map MIDI data if you to wish avoiding using a CbB drum map.

With "Enable MIDI Output" selected Jamstix will appear as an input in the instrument/MIDI EZD track (another reason why EZD needs more than an audio track).

Make sure input echo enabled (the button to the right of record in the track headers) in the instrument/MIDI EZD track.

Thank you scook for your helpful reply. 

OK - I am understanding.  So I start a new project, and use the Synth Rack to instantiate Jamstix on its own Instrument Track, ensuring that Enable Midi Output is enabled.  I can hear JS audio so I know it is functioning.  Then use the Synth Rack to instantiate EZ Drummer on  its own Instrument Track.  I can hear EZD so I know it is functioning.  Then I create a Midi Track, and choose JS as the Midi Input, and choose EZD as the Midi Output.  Now I go into the JS Property page to mute the audio output of JS.  When I press Play, I hear nothing - BUT - I have to have the CW focus on the Midi Track sending midi to EZD.  So I click on the midi track, and then press play, and hear EZD playing to the midi generated by JS.  It Works!!!

I've been struggling with this question all weekend, so thank you both scook and D Baay for your helpful answers.  As usual, the problem lies between my ears with my understanding (or lack thereof). 

To use JS to drive EZD takes 2 instrument tracks, one for JS and one for EZD. There is no need for additional MIDI tracks.

Set input on the EZD instrument track to JS.

This...

39 minutes ago, JamPro said:

When I press Play, I hear nothing - BUT - I have to have the CW focus on the Midi Track sending midi to EZD.  So I click on the midi track, and then press play, and hear EZD playing to the midi generated by JS. 

is caused by Always Echo Current MIDI Track. Disable this setting and manually set input echo (the button right of record) on the EZD instrument track. EZD always needs input echo enabled in order to play the data coming from the JS plug-in.